cURL error: Could not resolve host: magnet:; Host not found (6)

TheSPAWN

cURL error: Could not resolve host: magnet:; Host not found (6)

Getting the above error with the Multi User WebUI shell when trying to add magnet links, I posted here aswell as the shell topic because it seems pretty dead now and hoping somebody sees this here.

Any help would be much appreciated.

This is due to how the webui shell habdles torrents from a url.

Unlike what you'd expect instead of passing the url download api to utorrent it downloads the torrent first (to you webui temp folder) and then adds it to torrents using the file upload API.

This means when it gets a magnet link curl (the command that downloads the torrent) doesn't know how to download it (the shell was written before adding magnet links through the webui was enabled) and thus the error you're experiencing.

To enable this would require a rewrite of the url adding code and since there hasn't been any activity on this in quite sometime and that because the actual webui has transitioned to github instead of Trac we've lost any later commits (as far as I can see) than what's available via the download.

Hope that explains your issue well enough

Hi thanks for explanation.

Hopefully somebody will have a go at updating/upgrading the shell as it looks like Lord Alderaan has abandoned project unfortunately :(

If anybody out there has the skills to upgrade the shell so that its compatible with latest WebUI as far as disabling features like settings, removing contact menu items like force start, remove etc and compatible with magnet links I would be willing to pay for your services :)

• 7 months later...

I've done a quick hack to make the interface work with magnet links. However it means that you can no longer put access constraints on the 'Quota_Max_Combinedsize' (that is, how much a user is allowed to download), as (the quick and dirty) implementation doesn't try to figure out any extra information about the torrent, just extracts enough information from the magnet link to allow for the other (simpler) checks.

Another, less simple, more annoying, but solves this problem hack, would be to 'convert' the magnet link to a torrent, either using an online service (http://magnet2torrent.com), or getting another client such as transmission-cli to process the torrent but not download it (and just get the torrent file from .config/transmission/torrent/*.torrent).

Finally, best solution would be to actually do some work on the entire webui_shell interface so that it tracks torrents better and interacts more nicely with utorrent. I like the shell, it just needs lots of work.

Anyway, here's the link:

http://pastebin.com/aV15CGQn

Replace the file webui_shell/inc/user/webui.php with the contents from pastebin (it's for version 0.7.0).

If there are any questions, feel free to pm me.

I've done ........

Hi bud, Thanks for reply but I have since moved on from uTorrent for a multi user setup purpose and instead use ruTorrent. Its just far superior then uTorrent as you can have lots of different types of plugins, create torrents etc. Only reason why I didnt move on before was because of Linux knowledge but now I have scripts to set everything up.

It would be great to see the shell completely updated to work with newer versions of utorrent or features of shell upgraded to work with more stable versions like 2.0.4. I used the shell with 2.0.4 but had to edit the actual webui to disable features/menu entries since the shell couldn't do it.

I'm sure others will have use for your mod though bud :)

Funnily enough, since doing this, I've been thinking of moving of to rtorrent+rutorrent. I'm already running a Linux box, may as well go the full 9 yards.

Yeah, its a much better client/webui and has lost of possibilities.

I'm a Windows user though so it would be great to see utorrent devs stop adding all the crap and instability they have since v3 and maybe incorporate some of the features we have in rtorrent/rutorrent into utorrent API/WebUI.

Archived