Can't get magnet links to work

CeeBeePee

I have downloaded and installed uTorrent 3.1.2 but I am still having no luck with using Magnet Links.

If I go to a torrent site and click on a magnet link it does create an entry in uTorrent but that's about all that ever happens. The new entry just sits there doing nothing ... ever.

The torrent entry shows the standard DHT, Local Peer Discovery and Peer Exchange entries plus ccc.de, openbittorrent.com and publicbt.com entries but there always appears to be no live seeds in any of these entries - even when the torrent is in the top 20 most popular series.

No torrent file is ever created/downloaded either ... so there are always no statistics and no hash figures that would allow me to expand the trackers I am using so I am mightily confused and frustrated seeing as how many torrent sites now provide only Magnet links and no torrent files.

Something is wrong somehow but I don't know whether I am doing something wrong or if this is software problem? Is there a way to resolve this issue?

In preferences I have Enable the DHT Network.

Under "Trackers" the {DHT] entries all say: "Waiting for announce ..."

Regarding Firewall settings .... I generally don't seem to have any problems contacting udp based trackers when I download a torrent file but I never seem to have any luck with Magnet Link Entries

Herewith is a sample trackers page from a magnet link created entry:

Name Status Update In Seeds Peers Downloaded

[DHT] waiting for announce... 0 0 0

[Local Peer Discovery] working 0 1 0

[Peer Exchange] working 0 0 0

udp://tracker.ccc.de:80 Connection timed out. 30m 18s 0 0 0

udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80 Connection timed out. 17m 1s 0 0 0

udp://tracker.publicbt.com:80 Connection timed out. 21m 59s 0 0 0

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem with µTorrent; it just won't download magnets!

While Transmission downloads the same torrent Magnet URI almost instantly.

The only thing I can think about, is that I disabled some of the µTorrent features, as required by some tracker. But I have re-enabled all the options, and magnets still won't work :<

Maybe a reinstallation is in order. Also, this is on Windows Server 2008 R2 x64.

You don't ever need to change settings according to a tracker. If a tracker tells you that you need to disable DHT, they're lying to you.

You need to re-enable all DHT settings and make sure it's turned on for the torrent itself/

Archived