uTorrent keeps freezing, build 3.1.3

Eliittihemuli

You could try the 3.2 beta.

Hi

I too have this problem, and upgrading to 3.2 does not work.

Its really odd... mine does not crash immediately, downloads happen normally, then after a couple of minutes they rapidly start slowing down till they stop. Then utorrent stops responding.

I did not add magnetic torrents simultaneously, but do have about 30 queued.

tx

Mark.

I just downgraded to 3.12 and it is working perfectly again...

3.13 and beyond definitely has some bug in this regard...

Ive found another bug though. When it says download complete, and you click on it to open the containing folder, then double click on track 1 to play it, it plays, but it is actually playing the file which is still in the new downloads folder, and is yet to be copied over to it's completed downloads folder... so by playing that file, it does not copy over, and is left in the downloads folder.

Mark

FWLIW: A month ago I upgraded my rig. I added more memory, a SSD, a big HD and installed Win7.

First thing I noticed: uTorrent kept freezing up on me. It wasn't until Civilization V kept BSODing I realized it was time to test my new memory...

Silly me had it overclocked, and that would probably have been fine with only one bank populated. With all six DIMMs in there, the 1333 MHz clock was a tad optimistic. Memchk86's 8th (or 9th?) test flagged a few errors and I reverted to normal speed.

I experienced several freezes with utorrent every day. Since I fixed my memory clock, no more freezes and CivV runs just fine as well.

Just a thought.

I have the exaxt same problem with build 27167. I happened after I have added a dozen of magnet links.

The build before 27167 also used to freeze for some reason, and I had hoped the new build would have fixed that. Both freezes might not be related since I didn't have any magnet links with the former build.

Can't, it's not whitelisted on a private tracker I'm a member at.

Btw, it just happened again after adding several magnet'ed torrents at once.

PS: Another thing I've noticed is that magnet torrents simply stop at 0.0% and I have to start them again.

I just wanted to report I also have this problem. uTorrent 3.1.3 all builds so far including 27207.

In my case I don't have any magnet links loaded, not a single one. My uTorrent crashes about 8 times per day. Crash dumps are produced sometimes but they are all completely blank with no information inside. File size of the dumps is 0bytes.

I'm very perplexed by this issue as I've had uTorrent working fine for years. I've had more crashes today with uTorrent 3.1.3 than I have had in the past 5 years of using uTorrent. I've been having these daily crashes since I upgraded from 3.0 to 3.1.3 over a week ago.

Unfortunately I had to upgrade as the private tracker I use has demanded users upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1.3 - Obviously I can't use 3.2 Beta. I hope you fix whatever is causing this instability soon.

It would be nice for utorrent to AUTOMATICALLY track the files I download anywhere on my pc regardless of where i move them so i can continue sharing without interference.

Due to the way files are hashed, this isn't possible.

Okay thanks, For the info man :)

• 2 weeks later...
It would be nice for utorrent to AUTOMATICALLY track the files I download anywhere on my pc regardless of where i move them so i can continue sharing without interference.

Due to the way files are hashed, this isn't possible.

If you let the program know where to look for the files and allow it to recurse through the folder(s) it can find them.

Same problem. Since the 3.1.3 update torrents are selected with no problem but do not download? Under preferences the "Associate with torrent files" button is not available? Tried downloading the Beta and Alpha but still no difference. Please help this Technological Dinosaur :(.

Oops, just sorted it out by shutting down 3.1.3 and then loading the 3.2 Beta :D. It goes to show, it helps when one reads..... technological Dinosaur - Yes ..... Illiterate - No.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been struggling with the same freezing problems in 3.1.3. Note that my 3.1.3 install did not register 3.2.X as an upgrade path. You may have to manually download and install 3.2.X.

As a precaution back up your settings. I have also noticed issues in the upgrade path since 3.0.X and continually lose all my RSS feeds and bandwidth scheduling. Nothing like a few hours work every time you upgrade.

Frankly speaking the stability of uTorrent has really suffered lately in my view. While I have been a loyal user and promoter for years I'm on the fence about switching to a different client. The last 6 months have been particularly brutal. My hope is 3.2 has resolved the bad string of releases since 3.0.

• 3 weeks later...
Like mentioned before, the 3.2 release candidate has this fixed.

Actually, what was mentioned was that 3.2 does NOT fix the issue. Saying it does and then ignoring those who say it doesn't does not actually fix the problem, the problem still exists and ignoring it just belittles your users. BitTorrent has the same problem, but uTorrent is a virtual copy of uTorrent (or vice versa since I don't know what the business model of the two companies are - maybe they are one and the same).

Some more info on the problem:

This happens when there are more than 1 torrent "Checking" (the op had 250 or something absurd)

If you can stop all but one, it checks fine and starts to DL, but once it starts to DL, starting a stopped torrent takes a long time and many times does not begin DLing until the first file is finished.

A torrent from a magnet link begins "Downloading", then is "Checking" and then begins "Doownloading" again; it is only safe to add new torrents once a first torrent begins this second downloading phase where the file size is shown.

And as someone else said, that it is a magnet issue and doesn't happen if you download the file is not a good answer since most major sites are going entirely over to magnets (thepiratebay.se, for example).

Archived