Delete data leaves the torrent folder

discmeister

Hi everyone,

First, thanks to those who created uTorrent for Linux; I run the latest Alpha on my headless Ubuntu server upstairs and control it via the updated WebUI, and in general, I'm delighted it with it.

I have a couple of teeny gripes with it, the main one being this...

When I've downloaded a torrent, I tend to move the files it contains across to a different directory on the server (one that's accessed by, say, my XBMC box). This works fine. It does leave a folder and occasionally a text description file/NFO file or something.

However, the torrent is still 'live' in uTorrent (even though the main file itself is missing) - so by my reckoning, I should be able to just select the torrent in uTorrent, hit delete and select 'delete torrent and data' and everything should disappear from my Downloads folder. By everything, I mean the containing folder for the downloaded files and any remaining files contained therein.

However, what happens is that uTorrent deletes anything that's within the folder but leaves the folder itself.

It's not going to keep me awake at nights, but it's kinda annoying that it doesn't do what it says it's doing. I count the containing folder as data related to the torrent, but uTorrent clearly does not.

Here's the interesting bit, though - this doesn't always happen! Sometimes - and I don't know any difference that would make it do this - uTorrent DOES delete everything, including the folder.

Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone possibly have a solution? Or is what I'm hoping uTorrent will do just completely beyond its remit?

Regards to all and thanks again,

Discy

• 1 month later...

Anyone? Am I missing something here? Is this a limitation of all torrent software? I've mucked around with Transmission recently and it seems to do the same.

To recap, when I select delete torrent & all data this, to my mind, should delete EVERYTHING involved in the torrent. So everything from the original torrent file (wherever it is kept) down to the data I've downloaded, including any containing folder thereof.

However, it doesn't do this. It leaves a containing folder. Surely this can't be right. Is it a permissions thing or something?

Hope somebody has a view on this?

Discy

Just one other quick point. The utorrent server is being run by the user who 'owns' the files and folders it creates (as it should be, of course). If I do an ls -l on the Downloads folder it shows the folders created by utorrent to have the following permissions: drwxrwxrwx. Which I think is 777?

If that's the case, then why on earth can't utorrent delete them when it's deleting the data contained therein?

Discy

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, well over 400 views yet no-one feels compelled to comment.

is it just me, or is the Linux version of uTorrent dying? it seems poorly supported compared with Mac and PC versions.

By contrast, Deluge - which used to have countless frustrations on the permissions and scheduler front when it came to running it on a headless server - has been constantly updated and has a vibrant community. Think I may try that for a while and give uTorrent Server another year or 18 months to catch up. Slowly.

Yours in frustration,

Discy

The Linux version was released over 2 years ago, and has had little development since then.

In my opinion it is already dead. I have moved on, and use another means for my needs.

Last I remember if you use the WebUI from here, the folders will be deleted. I could be wrong.

Archived