Proper Etiquette on Sharing Files

Kristaky

Good Afternoon, I am new to p2p technology. Recently, I downloaded µTorrent and downloaded some songs. They talk about "reciprocating" by maintaining a 1:1 download:upload ratio. I was wondering if you could talk about this in layman's terms for me.

Question 1: For example, if I download a 5MB music file, should I create a new torrent file for the same file, and upload that to a torrent website, and I will have satisfied my ratio?

Question 2: Will I have satisfied my ratio by downloading the file, and keeping the torrent on the job list for a period of time (and if so, how long)?

Question 3: Is there a way to view the torrent on the job list, and look at the activity to see if it has been shared by other users, and how can I tell if I am sharing the file, and have satisfied the ratio?

I want to make sure I am reciprocating appropriately. It's such a great program and I do not want to be labeled as a leecher. Thank you very much! -Kristaky. P.S. How can I donate to µTorrent?

Question 1: For example, if I download a 5MB music file, should I create a new torrent file for the same file, and upload that to a torrent website, and I will have satisfied my ratio?

No. use the existing torrent.

Question 2: Will I have satisfied my ratio by downloading the file, and keeping the torrent on the job list for a period of time (and if so, how long)?
Yes. The actual number of hours varies, but the ratio value will show how much you've uploaded.
Question 3: Is there a way to view the torrent on the job list, and look at the activity to see if it has been shared by other users, and how can I tell if I am sharing the file, and have satisfied the ratio?
There is no way to see if others have shared, as you don't have full access to their computers. Your own ratio is shown in your interface.

Archived