General question on flagged torrents

ahhdiddums1342

Hey everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, if not please direct me.

My roommate recently received an email from the cable company that an ISP associated with his account downloaded material that was protected, p2p blah blah. Essentially a warning.

The bills in his name but i use the wifi. My question is, does the cable company see only where the torrent file was actually downloaded, or can they also see where the file was transfered.

Basically what I'm asking is, if started the process on another signal, but eventually completed it here, could I get away with the download without getting my roommate another warning.

Thanks again,

if theres a better source for this info please let me know. It's not the easiest question to google.

that an ISP associated with his account downloaded material that was protected, p2p blah blah. Essentially a warning.
????

ISP means "Internet Service Provider" so the only ISP associated with the "Cable company" are themselves, and what they can tell is that some data packets that were addressed to a particular port located at a particular IP passed through their routers and what subscriber account was connected on that IP at that particular time.

Alternatively the torrent that you downloaded was being monitored for activity, and as soon as you had uploaded 1 byte to the monitoring client, you, or rather the subscriber account to that particular connection became a criminal.

Archived