Actual Amount Being Downloaded

jmhall80

Hi. I am not a newbie, but I do have a question about when I am downloading something. Say a file is 500mb. If I am trying to download it and it is using 4 peers, when the file is done downloading, did I only use 500mb of download usage, or is it more than that because I am getting from several people at the same time. And along with that, am I also using upload usage when I am downloading and people are sharing taking what I have already downloaded? The reason I am asking this, is because I use satellite internet (because I live in the sticks), and we are only allotted 15GB/month of up/download, and it resets every month on the same day. I just wanted to know if I am downloading a 500mb file, if by the time it is done that I haven't used, say, 2GB of up/download data. Thanks for your help, whomever can answer this question.

:cool:

Well if the question is:

Will a 50MB download use exactly 50MB of data transfer, the answer is; No it will use more.

If that wasn't the question, kindly rephrase it with a little less meandering please.

or:

If that is the question;

I just wanted to know if I am downloading a 500mb file, if by the time it is done that I haven't used, say, 2GB of up/download data.
nobody can tell you.

I have had one (~350MB) download that took several weeks to complete and the accumulated transfer for that one job to the point where I could seed it was 1.7GB.

So my first answer of "transport overhead" is 100% correct, it is simply the case that you didn't understand what transport overhead is.

Ok then!

Note to self: Go back to being patronising and insulting peoples intelligence rather than assuming/expecting they may know a bit about it. :D

Archived