uTorrent fills up 'inactive ram'

guitarjoa

Let's just ignore comment #25. The poster most likely doesn't use uTorrent 1.8 or even a Mac.

when uTorrent eats up all the free memory, can this be BAD and mess up your torrents at all? And Also, when purging to free up the memory, can this mess up your torrents?

Neither is bad for your torrents. I've been doing it several times a day since 1.8 and my torrents are fine.

I am worried about leaving uTorrent on at night because when I wake up it says I only have 20mb of free memory left and I am not sure if this can be bad for my downloads/computer.

When you run out of memory you may see temporary performance issues (slowdown, hanging, beachballs, some apps may even crash, it depends on how well the apps you use can tolerate it and how capable your computer is), but it's not bad for your downloads, and it doesn't do anything permanent to your computer.

You can also downgrade to uTorrent 1.7.3 if you have a timemachine backup or look for it on the web.

Let's just ignore comment #25. The poster most likely doesn't use uTorrent 1.8 or even a Mac.
when uTorrent eats up all the free memory, can this be BAD and mess up your torrents at all? And Also, when purging to free up the memory, can this mess up your torrents?

Neither is bad for your torrents. I do it several times a day since 1.8 and my torrents are fine.

I am worried about leaving uTorrent on at night because when I wake up it says I only have 20mb of free memory left and I am not sure if this can be bad for my downloads/computer.

When you run out of memory you may see temporary performance issues (slowdown, hanging, beachballs, some apps may even crash, it depends on how well the apps you use can tolerate it and how capable your computer is), but it's not bad for your downloads, and it doesn't do anything permanent to your computer.

You can also downgrade to uTorrent 1.7.3 if you have a timemachine backup or look for it on the web.

Thanks a lot for the constructive response and for the peace of mind. I am guessing nothing bad happens to your downloads/torrents when you "purge" or free the inactive memory, right?

I am guessing nothing bad happens to your downloads/torrents when you "purge" or free the inactive memory, right?

I've already answered that one:

Neither is bad for your torrents. I've been doing it several times a day since 1.8 and my torrents are fine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived