Configuring a second IP Address for uTorrent on one NIC

Townie

Hi There

Here is the issue...

I have a Billion BIPAC 7800N, I have my computer connected via Ethernet, another computer using wireless, a PVR that also connects via the wireless and I have a few other things that connect via wireless (phone, Wii, iPAD etc).

Now the PVR also has internet/Foxtel channels that requires a lot of bandwidth. So I have setup QoS so that the PVR has highest priority, my computer has the lowest and all the rest have normal priority.

Problem is when I use uTorrent on my computer and other devices are using bandwidth I can't really use the internet very well for browsing because I have the last priority.

So what I want to do is forward uTorrent to use another IP Address and have my original IP Address both on my computer for general internet use. That way I give the lowest priority to the uTorrent only and apply a normal priority to general internet use on my computer.

I originally thought of putting in another NIC, but at the moment I tried adding a second IP address to the NIC and changed net_bind_ip & net_outgoing_ip in uTorrent to the second IP but when I look in the router it looks like it has just changed my ip to what I set for uTorrent to use.

Do I have to use another NIC or am I missing something?

If I do have to use another NIC, how do I go about setting the gateway and dns, from what I have read is that they are not needed?

I tried using the loopback adapter with no gateway or dns and it didn't work, but when I entered the gateway I got a message multiple gateways would cause them to operate incorrectly. .

but when I entered the gateway I got a message multiple gateways would cause them to operate incorrectly.
That is correct
Do I have to use another NIC or am I missing something?
No and only the fact that you can't actually do what you want to do.

I got it to work, but I had to use another NIC. Bridged mode did not work as both adapters needed there own ip address and both need to be connected to the internet.

Manually configuring each NIC with a static address for the gateway gave an error that both cannot have the same address and is intended for one being on the internet and one on the intranet.

So what I did was set a static arp and fixed host for each adapter in the router, which seem to assign the gateway address to the other NIC anyway, but is working fine with no warnings.

Also setting to just a static arp seemed to give the adapter a different address then I set and just setting a fixed host didn't seem to separate the traffic as I intended and didn't show up the other adapter in the arp status. Don't understand this fully.

Then I turned off Upnp and forwarded the uTorrent port to the second adapter and set the net.outgoing-ip & net.bind-ip to the second adapters IP Address and that was it. Also I turned off the automatic metric and set 1 for the original adapter and 2 for the second adapter.

Archived