Newbie: not downloading

wilmijntje

Hi there,

I'm new here (although not to torrents in general). Downloading via uTorrent is not working for me. I already shut down the firewall, but still it isn't downloading anything. I'm located in China, is there anything special I need to do? I understood that torrent downloading should be possible here.

Maybe it's something else regarding the firewall anyways, but I just don't understand how to fix it. Please help (in a newbie way), thank you!

Hi there,

I'm new here (although not to torrents in general). Downloading via uTorrent is not working for me. I already shut down the firewall, but still it isn't downloading anything. I'm located in China, is there anything special I need to do? I understood that torrent downloading should be possible here.

Maybe it's something else regarding the firewall anyways, but I just don't understand how to fix it. Please help (in a newbie way), thank you!

Ok, well depends on how many seeders there are. Go to the peers list and see if there are others downloading the same file. To ensure its not your firewall, search for a highly seeded file with low leeches and try downloading that. Give it a few minutes to initialize as sometimes it depends on where the peers are it could take anywhere from 5 seconds, to 5 minutes to give you an accurate calculation of download time, speed rate, and upload rate. If this persists then check what conflicting programs may be affecting it. I have never heard of a program conflicting with torrents, but perhaps if you have two torrent clients running this may be a case, however highly doubtful. Worst come to worse, disable your antivirus, and firewall. But not for long, and make sure you don't leave yourself open to internet herpes, close your browser. Thats all I can think of really, hope it works out.

Thank you for your response. I'm trying to download a popular file now, normally that shouldn't take so long. But it doesn't work, also not after several minutes. I see no seed/leach info in uTorrent itself. Also something about DHT not logged in, but I don't understand what that means. I've looked at several help topics, but I simply don't understand them, although I'm not stupid. Vuze is also not working here, while it always did back home (the Netherlands). Is bit something here in China? The VPN I'm using cannot help in this case and I did hear that proxy's would not make things better either. I'm bummed that I cannot watch my shows from here now... So any help would be highly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Same condition as of 'wilmijntje' here in China, near Beijing :( uTorrent worked until fews weeks before. Now any new torrent files (with tons of seeds/peers) will not even load metadata..download nothing. I guess it's not uTorrent's fault but is all about GREAT FIREWALL OF CHINA. As Spring/New year holiday has begun many students and young people return back home and use internet. So government has put censorships through firewall..(?). Most Proxy/vpns die in China. Download is too sluggish even if some proxy worked.

Any alternative would be appreciated :cool:

Archived