uTorrent causing issues with resuming from sleep on Windows 8

Quitch

I should kick off by saying I did not experience this issue, on this machine, running Windows 7.

Having upgraded to Windows 8 Pro 64-bit I find that when I am resuming from sleep the machine is resuming from disk rather than memory. This should only happen when the machine has experienced a power failure and is in effect a fallback used by hybrid sleep. However, my machine was constantly resuming from disk, going through a full POST sequence.

Now, hibernate was off so it must be the disk resume of hybrid sleep. No power failure had occurred.

Recently though sleep starting working correctly, and this was at a time when uTorrent was no longer running. I started using uTorrent again and slept my machine. Sure enough when it came time to wake it up the next day it resumed from disk.

As far as I can tell when I sleep my machine with uTorrent running it will always resume from disk, not from memory. Without uTorrent running the machine resumes correctly.

This should only happen when the machine has experienced a power failure and is in effect a fallback used by hybrid sleep.

Unless your machine is a laptop or you have a UPS attached, a power failure restart is a full shutdown and bootup and uTorrent was not shutdown.

As far as I can tell when I sleep my machine with uTorrent running it will always resume from disk, not from memory. Without uTorrent running the machine resumes correctly.

If uTorrent was not shutdown 'cleanly', active downloads are going to be 'dirty' because the cache will NOT have been flushed completely before shutdown, so the current state of the job is inderminate and as such requires a recheck to prevent corruption.

Archived