UI bug utorrent 3.3 latest stable

uTorrent_user1

Ok so I over-estimated, so what else should be there if

a torrent didn't contain any tracker in the list,

NULL = Nothing = None listed

Why would a programmer use <NULL> ?

The token for NULL occupies a single byte in the metainfo.

In memory NULL uses 1 byte + the type overhead.

Multiple NULL values can be 'pointers' to a single variable.

NULL takes less cycles to evalute.

Converting a 'NULL' field to a 'Human friendly' word ie: "None", would require resources to be wasted on each iteration of the GUI update cycle, and having 'None' as the value in the meta info would waste resources when the data was read and when it is refreshed or reloaded.

Ok so I over-estimated, so what else should be there if "a torrent didn't contain any tracker in the list"

Nothing. Human-friendly literation of <NULL> is not the word "None", it's just nothing. Field should be empty, just like it always was since the first uTorrent version.

I understand that there might be some technical explanation why <NULL> is easier/faster/etc., but hey, exactly therefore a Graphical User Interface has been invented -- to waste some of the programmer's time and user's machine resourses, so that the end user is presented with a clean, nice-looking, human interface and isolated from all the stuff happening under the hood.

the principle of the uTorrent GUI is NOT to waste CPU cycles and memory resources, so it maintains a small running footprint.

Wasting system resources and using them wisely are two different things.

According to your logic, my uTorrent should look something like this:

V4hs0Iyl.png

... which could save me 1KB of memory if I'm lucky. Yaaay!

This is crap. We're clearly talking about a bug here, there is no other explanation or justification for this behaviour.

Archived