v3.3 Rendering dialogue on a disconnected monitor

deleted.account

- uTorrent 3.3.29126 (latest stable release at the time of the post)

- Windows 8 64-bit

- 2 monitor setup in 'Extend'-mode

Couple hours ago I discovered that I cannot add any new torrents. Neither magnets, nor actual .torrent files. No error messages shown either. When adding a torrent, main program window showed up, but no 'Add New Torrent' dialogue. The UI setting 'Show options to change the name and location of torrent data' was ticked, but the dialogue did not show up.

Restarting uTorrent and/or my computer did not help.

Then I found out what caused the problem. Today morning I downloaded a torrent, and moved 'Add New Torrent' dialogue to another screen (I have 2 monitors). Shortly after I disconnected my second monitor (using [WinKey]+[P] shortcut to switch the screen mode from "Extend" to "PC screen only").

Second monitor remained disconnected like that since. When I was trying to add new torrents, and "nothing happened", what did happen, apparently, is that uTorrent has managed to draw 'Add New Torrent' dialogue on a disconnected second monitor! When I connected the monitor, I saw the proper dialogue shown on the second screen.

Got me kinda paranoia though.

I wish I could agree with you... But, I also use two monitors 1600 columns wide, and when I put on sleep the second unit, all standard windows apps show their respective dialog boxes in the FIRST screen ; so a non paranoid guy has a big latency to guess that uTorrent does not behave the same !

uTorrent has NO means of determining how many monitors you use, which one is primary, or which one to display to. AND it CERTAINLY cannot determine is a monitor is plugged in or not.

Video cards and their drivers use the DDC (Display Data Channel) signals on pins 11, 12 and 13 to identify what the monitor is capable of and IF it is plugged in or switched on. How on earth can you think that a BitTorrent client can do that or even NEED to??????

I don't think uTorrent should ask the hardware what is on or off, but many apps, probably just interfacing with the OS select correctly screen 1 to display, when screen 2 is off ; it could be just three lines of code to padd into uTorrent ( I did some program writing under masm186, and turbo pascal 4.0 in the past ...)

Edit : I precise screen 2 off ; if you turn out screen 1, windows cry for it's mother, warning you for a severe harware failure under vista, for example.

Under seven, windows never complains, if you turn out screen 1 : it disable first monitor in peripheral manager, and select automatically monitor 2 as main screen to 'repair' your computer. You have to reboot monitor 1 on to reactivate profile of screen 1, become sreen 2 ; your extended desk is inverted : you have to go into display tab of settings panel to reinvert your two screens ; phew, it's over.

Nothing at all to do with uTorrent, it is your display controls that is causing that to happen.

Ciaobaby, are you trolling me again?

All the other applications behave normally — when schreen B is turned off, their active windows automativally jump back to screen A, and all further dialogues are displayed on screen A from then on. Because screen B is turned off, as simple as that.

The very fact that uTorrent is the only program that manages to render some dialogues on a screen that is disconnected by Windows (Win+P), kinda turnes me into a though it might as well have something to do with uTorrent, see? Just using logic here.

• 1 month later...

Thank you pure.by.

I finally understood what's happening. I lost the window months ago and had no idea why it vanished.

My TV (as a second monitor) was not even connected to my PC from a long time !

Thanks to your post, I immediately succeeded to get the window menu appear by pressing ALT + SPACEBAR. Then I chose "move", press an arrow once and got it moving with the mouse !

At last ! Once again thank you.

Archived