'unclosed file' bug in uTorrent 3.3 (build 29544)[32-bit]

RA_dlanor

As the topic title says I have a problem with uTorrent 3.3 build 29544, as currently released for download on its home page. The problem causes several operations to fail due to files not being closed properly even when uTorrent is definitely finished with them.

One typical symptom becomes obvious only when using the feature to have completed downloads and their torrent files moved from the folders used during the download to other folders reserved for such completed downloads. This movement sometimes fails (say once per ten torrents), which I suspect is due to the affected files not being closed properly before attempting the move operation, which then is aborted at filesystem level. (As movement of open files is prohibited.)

Another symptom becomes obvious only when manually (through Windows Explorer et al.) inspecting the folders for ongoing and completed downloads as well as their associated torrent files. Frequently these folders are found to contain downloads and torrent files (not always both though) that should have been purged long ago, which I usually do using the context menu command "Remove And"+"Delete .torrent + Data". (After manually copying the downloaded files to their true destinations.)

That command itself usually works, but not always, and here again I believe that this is due to files remaining in the open state when the program attempts to perform my requested "Delete" operations.

Another very strong indication that this is indeed the case is the fact that Windows itself tells me that those files are being held open by some program, when I attempt to delete them using Windows Explorer. And this is at a time when uTorrent is definitely finished with the files, after I have used the command "Remove And"+"Delete .torrent + Data", resulting in removal of those downloads from the windowed listings of uTorrent.

The final proof that it still is uTorrent which holds those files open at such times is given by the simple fact that terminating uTorrent allows me to delete all such files through Windows Explorer without any more error messages. (Clearly because termination of the program automatically closes all files it had opened.)

This is a very irritating problem which sometimes causes serious storage problems, when the 'remnant' files happen to be huge in size (ISO files, High-bitrate videos, etc). And for people administering uTorrent remotely, accessing it only through its server interfaces, manual cleanup seems impossible, since they have no way of temporarily terminating the program (to force-close such files).

I hope this bug can be fixed in the next release, and as I see it a fix should not be very difficult.

All it really comes down to is to ensure that all files involved in a movement or delete operation are fully closed before any attempt is made to perform that operation. (And reopened afterwards if it was just a movement of a download+torrent that should continue seeding).

Best regards: RA_dlanor

PS: I forgot to include my OS info, which is WinXP Pro SP3

PPS: I just realized that I should have posted this in the "Bug Reports" subforum instead, but I don't want to commit a 'double-post' offense. It would be better if a moderator just moved this post into that proper subforum.

1: What are the exact steps for reproducing the problem?

2: have you checked in Computer management -> Shared Folders -> Open files for what is holding the files open.

ALSO

Windows Explorer can prevent itself from deleting or moving files, simply because of the 'helper apps' which are providing thumbnails/previews to explorer for the files in the directories.

1: What are the exact steps for reproducing the problem?

Since these issues occur sporadically it's hard to specify any steps guaranteed to trigger them.

I've noted that it seems to happen more frequently when I have many torrents in the client, but that would be expected in any case, as it raises the number of opportunities for triggering (esp. the movement issue).

Like I said in the first post, these things work fine most of the time, so the basic code is probably mostly fine, and just needs some tweaking to ensure that the files are closed before critical operations. (Could miss due to separate threads, if unsynced.)

2: have you checked in Computer management -> Shared Folders -> Open files for what is holding the files open.

Sorry, I didn't think of that earlier, but I'll check that the next time it happens.

Windows Explorer can prevent itself from deleting or moving files, simply because of the 'helper apps' which are providing thumbnails/previews to explorer for the files in the directories.

I'm aware of this problem, which also can cause serious delays on computers already engaged in demanding tasks. That's why I've disabled those features on the PC used for uTorrent. So those directory listings show only normal file and folder icons.

I'm not 100% sure how microsoft coded that stuff, but I believe that those 'helper apps' are never invoked when their output isn't needed, so they shouldn't be involved in these issues.

Best regards: RA_dlanor

Archived