Not always connectable? Process takes utorrent port randomly. Help pls

karlm

I've had this problem in multiple versions of utorrent all the way up to 3.3 and can't figure out how to fix this. I will open a port for utorrent in my router, I have set my static ip and I'm connectable with the green icon no problem, but sometimes when I reboot my computer(s) some process will take my designated utorrent port before utorrent can use it so I'm not connectable. How can I make utorrent use that port before some windows process or whatever program takes it?

The only way I get around it is restart my computer and start utorrent asap and hope the port hasn't been used yet. I've tried different ports and it never fails, whichever port is open will sometimes get used by some other process before utorrent gets to it so I'm not connectable.

It's been happening for years and I've used different brands of firewalls/anti virus software so I don't think that's the problem. I'm on windows 7 now, but it did it on Vista and XP also.

Thanks for any suggestions and help.

It's always nice to know such things in advance.

What port are you using and what does netstat show is using it?

Sorry. I've used ports anywhere between 49152 - 49159, sometimes it's services.exe, lsass.exe or svchost.exe. It's random and changes from reboot to reboot or if I close utorrent and open it back up again the problem happens randomly but it's usually some system process so i can't kill it.

Archived