Documentation for settings

thany

There are loads and loads of settings, but I haven't been able to find any good reference to what the advanced options all mean. That would be lovely. My crystal ball is broken, so I really do need some documentation :)

Where can I find these docs?

I have found the FAQ's, (which are probably not FAQ's but QOWTUTABANAFA's*) but those are not very usefull when looking for complete documentation or a real manual or something like that.

I also found the offline documentation, but no advanced options there (or I can't find them).

* "questions one wants the user to ask but are not actually frequently asked", a common misconception about what a FAQ is supposed to be. Offtopic, but it caught my attention :)

Ah!

Clicking on the little book itself reveals another page! A little odd, iyam, but good to know.

Thanks

?????

Have you never used a help file before? That's been the standard for many years and the "online" HTML help versions only became "popular" when the Internet 'grew up'.

It's been a very, very long time, for sure.

Just because something has been the way it is for years, doesn't mean people will "get" it. There are still loads of people who don't understand what "right-click" means. And there is a new generation of people who don't understand what the common icon for "save" is supposed to be (a floppy disk, btw).

Somewhat offtopic: the offline helpfile may be ditched, as far as I'm concerned. As long as all its containing information is readily available on the website, it shouldn't be a problem. After all uTorrent is useless without an internet connection, so offline help is not significantly advantageous over online help. Plus it will make uTorrent a little bit more "micro" like it used to be.

And there is a new generation of people who don't understand what the common icon for "save" is supposed to be (a floppy disk, btw).

I find the "new generation" are far more tech savvy, but while they know what the icon's function is but have no idea what a "floppy disk" is, and with the proliference of tablets and touch screens the 'right click' will go the same way a floppy is.

Just PLEASE, do NOT let the future become "Metro"!

Oh yeah, I agree, Metro is Microsofts biggest fail, easily overshadowing Windows Me. Kind-of-nice for a tablet, but a nightmare on desktops.

But actually I was merely trying to point out that offline help is not very common anymore, and assuming that everyone knows how it works (even if it is a standard thingy) is dangerous. Because so few programs use it, people might no longer fully know how to use it. That's all.

Archived