Automatically ... when Finished (Checkboxes)

RosalieRMX

I would appreciate it if checkboxes were added in the empty columns preceding Transfer to ... Device, Open, Remove and the Remove And options, to schedule an action when a file has finished. Selecting the text would have the present default behavior of immediate action. In the case of Open, it would open the material as soon as it has completed downloading.

Selecting the text would have the default behavior of immediate action.
It already exists.

Right click the 'Remove' button for these options OR set gui.default_del_action in Preferences -> Advanced to the value that you want to be default.

Read the user manual for the appropriate values.

Selecting the text would have the default behavior of immediate action.
It already exists.

I meant that clicking the text would have the existing default behavior, but I do see how you might have interpreted it as you did. Thank you all the same for offering the information.

I know exactly what you mean, BUT your request would defeat the object of those entries existing in the context menu.

They exist as a ONE OFF means of performing those particular tasks IF the user does NOT wish to use the default deletion action for one particular job.

My suggestion is not to replace, but supplement the existing options and behavior. The current options would be represented by the text, the new options by the checkboxes in the empty column, like the radio buttons of Bandwidth Allocation.

Thus, if a user high-lights a number of torrents and selects:

- the text, the normal action would be carried out.

- the checkbox, the normal action would be delayed until the torrent completes downloading (Open, Transfer To) or until finishes seeding (Remove, Remove And).

In the case of Transfer To, the download path changes automatically to point to the new location, so the torrent can finish seeding.

I think you missed the point of ...

They exist as a ONE OFF means of performing those particular tasks IF the user does NOT wish to use the default deletion action for one particular job.

There is already TWO methods of setting what you would 'prefer' those selections to do why is there a need for a third?

Set it to 'Stop' as the seeding goal and remove it manually.

Having 'remove and delete torrent and data' as the final action on completion is somewhat risky if set accidentally. And judging by the questions asked here some days .... Somebody DEFINITELY will do that.

I am quite sure someone would be surprised at some point, but when doesn't that happen? As I recall, a dialog box with a warning and an option to hide further warnings, has been used to introduce other new behaviors in uTorrent. Such a warning would likely be as effective for this as it was in the past.

That said, the proposal does not introduce major new or dangerous behavior, but rather the convenience of scheduling certain common tasks on the fly.

We have a different perspective on what constitutes a minimalist client. To you the defining thing is minimal features, to me it is clean interface design and spartan code.

As such, it seems vain for the two of us to debate this proposal further. No slight intended, we just tick differently.

Archived