how i secure utorrent using online armor (firewall)

winterlove187

was wondering would it be safer to use a random port or select one port?

what kind of firewall rules could I implament to make things more secure for my computer?

also how do I find and implament an ip block list that stays up to date, and is there any other ways I could secure things and still use utorrent?

would using undp be just as safe as using port forwarding in the router or is one a safer option?

was wondering would it be safer to use a random port or select one port?
It makes no difference so long as it is forwarded.
what kind of firewall rules could I implament to make things more secure for my computer?
None at all beyond allowing uTorrent through for UDP and TCP in both directions.
also how do I find and implament an ip block list that stays up to date, and is there any other ways I could secure things and still use utorrent?
You don't
would using undp be just as safe as using port forwarding in the router
Yes
or is one a safer option?
No

ok, then I am wondering, allowing udp and tcp connections in both directions seems like a huge security hole, would I be able to make my computer more secure if I was to set utorrent to access the internet through like a hardware based dmz? or is it even possible to do somthin like that?

also how would I setup utorrent while using openDNS.org

Software firewalls are utterly pointless if your computer connects to the Internet via a router. ONLY if your computer has an external IP DIRECTLY assigned to the NiC are firewalls required to "protect" the machine.

ok, then I am wondering, allowing udp and tcp connections in both directions seems like a huge security hole
If you don't uTorrent will NOT be able to communicate with peers or trackers.

I suggest you need to actually learn a lot more about Internet security rather than the sketchy and somewhat erroneus information you appear to have currently, much of the [mis]information about securing computers was written when dial-up was the main way of connecting and published by people who had a vested interest in keeping the paranoia levels high so people bought their products.

also how would I setup utorrent while using openDNS.org
Just the same as you would using any other nameservers. You specify the nameservers in the TCP/IP properties of your network card.

You can also add the IPs to uTorrent's advanced settings so your ISPs nameservers are bypassed if direct lookups are required.

more secure if I was to set utorrent to access the internet through like a hardware based dmz?

Do you mean a hardware firewall?

A DMZ is not a piece of IT equipment or networking hardware, it is an anacronym for DeMilitarised Zone, a segment of the LAN where machines can run services that directly access the WAN (or the Internet) such as mail servers, web servers or proxy gateways but the WAN cannot directly connect to machines in the LAN.

A DMZ is to allow specific machines to be segregated into a subnet or VLAN, domestic routers usually only have capabilities for one IP to be in a DMZ.

However for BitTorrent clients, (any of them) running a machine in a DMZ is an unecessary step, simply because there are NO KNOWN EXPLOITS that allow attacks to be 'vectored' through BitTorrent clients.

A DMZ is only required to segregate machines that are vulnerable to external attack by running services on IANA defined ports AKA 'Well Known' ports or services/applications that have known exploits, and as uTorrent uses a random port.

And no you cannot set a particular application in a DMZ with only one computer available.

Archived