All good till Windows 8 upgrade

RiCeYWA

I was getting great download speeds until I upgraded to Windows 8 then it all went down hill. I went through the setup guide and did the "run tests" which all worked fine yet Im still getting dialup speeds on downloads. The router/modem hasnt been touched so all the settings are the same as when it was running well on XP.

Another unusual thing Ive noticed is I downloaded some other test torrents to see speeds and then cancelled them soon after yet they have downloaded completely? Given one of them was an 8gig file its a concern that this is happening. I selected remove and delete torrent yet they continued downloading while not in the list.

One of the test torrents downloaded at a good speed.

Im currently trying to download a file around 5gig in size and its sitting around 50kB/s and will sometimes go up to 400 but then drops back down again. Ive tried several different large files and its the same. They all have a heap of seeders as well.

Help!

And not sure what you mean by connected or imaginary, I choose the torrent with the highest amount of seeders.

Only the peers that actually connect to your client count for anything useful, the counts that trackers report are inflated because it is an aggregated count of cached peer IDs.

About the ONLY time you could expect a peer count from a tracker to be close to accurate is when it is below five.

the only applicable ones are those related to utorrent itself.

But it is NOT uTorrent that has changed, it is your OS which may, or may not have affected external hardware but WILL have changed such things as the network drivers. You cannot exclude anything based on the assumption that only uTorrent 'related' factors have changed.

utorrent has changed as all settings reverted to default when it was reinstalled. Unfortunately I have no idea what the previous settings were hence going through the setup guide.

All other downloads such as through Steam are still running at high speed, utorrent is the only program suffering slow download speeds hence my assumption that the issue is with the program's settings or some incompatibility with Windows 8.

through Steam are still running at high speed,
Different procols and downloading methods so no valid comparison can be made between those.

Read the pinned threads in this section and do the testing necessary to find the settings that make your client environment ideal.

Archived