Auto renaming torrent in the list in main window when file was renamed

ViperAHT

To be more precise: Auto renaming torrent in the list in main window, when file on hdd was renamed (like it was in uTorrent 1.* and 2.*).

Read more:

When i rename the file, then clicking on item "Advanced" -> "Set Download Location..." in, for example, uTorrent 1.* and selecting the file in the list of torrents in the main window of program it automatically renamed too. It was very comfortable, because the name of the torrent in the seeding\downloading sections completely matches the name of the file on my hard disk drive...

In the third version of uTorrent this feature isn't available. Why was it removed?

Is it possible in the new program builds back this option? After all, you can make it disconnectable.

P.S. I was looking for in the search engines about this feature, and was very surprised, I did not find any mention at all about it

Yes of course, ciaobaby, we can take advantage of these two ways, but they are not quite logical. Let me explain why:

1)

rename the job in the "Add Torrent" dialogue before you load it.

1.1) I don't have friends or acquaintances who renamed file immediately, even before the download. For example, I'm downloading via uTorrent different content. And then the order of 50% (or even more) have to be removed for various reasons. If so sit back and rename everything that passes through uTorrent - it is just a waste of time.

1.2) Also often don't have time to rename the file at once (before downloading). Only once every 1-2 weeks (or maybe even rarer) i find the time to restore order.

2)

rename the joblist caption, then set download location.

2.1) uTorrent is still p2p download client (albeit with advanced features), but not the file manager. After all, everyone has to do their own thing: download manager - work well with downloads, file manager - work well with files. That is much easier, clearer and more logical to rename the file in your favorite file manager (e.g., Total Commander or Windows Explorer) and then your favorite torrent-client (uTorrent :)) picked up a new file name in joblist caption.

2.2) This method can be used with the renaming single files, but with the massive renaming - not at all. For example, I have 20 episodes of any series. The name of each file is as follows: Very_interesting_series-Name_of_the_episode.S*.EP*.mkv. I create a simple batch-file which renames the files in a convenient form. And then specify this files to uTorrent 1.* or 2.*. Everything is wonderful! But with uTorrent v3 I have to do extra traffic: either don't use this batch-file and manually rename the files in the program, either manually rename an every joblist caption.

Then why take away such a great feature if it has certain advantages? Again, it could be made optional in the settings.

P.S. It feels that the program falls under the general unwritten rule for all programs: closer to the fourth version of something incredible happens with developers, and from a normally operating the program, it turns into some kind of half-working monster combine.

Then why take away such a great feature if it has certain advantages?

I wouldn't say it is/was a 'great' feature or even that useful, but it certainly IS a waste of resources to have uTorrent scanning the entire download locations just in case somebody renamed something.

Not to mention that renaming files in the torrent payload data can/will 'break' the job.

ciaobaby, you don't understand me:

- or reading between the lines;

- or my English is so bad :)

Please read again carefully what I wrote in the previous two posts.

I beg to return the feature that has been in previous versions of the uTorrent (v.1 and v.2) - _not_ a new feature.

it certainly IS a waste of resources to have uTorrent scanning the entire download locations just in case somebody renamed something.

The program doesn't scan the entire download location, but only when you have specified the new path for file by clicking on item "Advanced" -> "Set Download Location...", uTorrent 1. or 2.* has renamed caption in joblist in compliance with the real name of the file on hard drive. And this was true only for single files (not folders), respectively.

Most likely mechanism was utterly simple: after a new path was recorded in resume.dat, the program took the name of the file from resume.dat (elementary: the file name - everything after the last backslash "\") and rename the joblist caption. And no scan, ciaobaby, what are you? :)

P.S. Maybe I take screenshots? Or become clear? :)

Right, it was just the it was worded initially.

What you mean is that the caption followed the download location subdirectory

V3 clients introduced the concept of having the choice of creating a subdirectory in the download location (or not) which was then subsequently removed however, but the disconnect between caption and sub-directory was irrevocably broken.

3.3.n clients have another addition, that of setting the 'Destination Name' which will set the name of the subdirectory and move the data WITHOUT needing to go through the process changing the caption THEN moving the data with "Set Download Location"

Yes, ciaobaby, it is about what I said :)

but the disconnect between caption and sub-directory was irrevocably broken.

Too bad!

3.3.n clients have another addition, that of setting the 'Destination Name' which will set the name of the subdirectory and move the data WITHOUT needing to go through the process changing the caption THEN moving the data with "Set Download Location"

I'm a little even reformulate the idea of this topic: in third version it is made very uncormfotable to specify the new location of the renamed file, because if, e.g., in uTorrent 1.8.4 one dialog used to specify the file path:

1q3q.png

... to specify a folder path - other:

wxy5.png

then in the third version of it all piled in a heap, and we have two items: "Set Download Location..." and "Set Destination Name...". That is, if I want to change the real filename (on hdd) in the uTorrent v3.3.* and to automatically rename the joblist caption, I need to click on "Set Destination Name...".

That's right, but what if i use file manager to restore order in the files? Because restore order in downloads that had accumulated over a week, two, three, or month (or even more), using no file manager, but uTorrent - it's a murder. Instead of simply select the file (as shown in Figure 1), I must first specify the name using "Set Destination Name" (and, it turns out, I need to copy the filename from the file manager to the dialog box in uTorrent or entered manually), then specify the folder using "Set Download Location" and, finally, to answer in the affirmative to the question about overwriting a file - only after that I'll be able to seed file.

That is, if you compare the number of steps in uTorrent 1.* and uTorrent 3.3.* (under the condition that I will be using the file manager) - 1 (specify path of the moved and the renamed file) vs. 4 (copy name of file from file manager or enter manually, paste new filename in "Set Destination Name", "Set Download Location", answer on request)!

Why did so intentionally to increase the number of actions to achieve the same result? Everything else - it's not exactly intuitive. After all, it's more like a degradation, not evolution :)

I would be very grateful if you comment on this post!

P.S. In the same way at all was a bad selection dialog where to save the file before downloading

P.P.S. After all, you create uTorrent not only for housewives and schoolkids, who in fact know nothing about that and who have a maximum of 10-something active torrents :) But also for the uploader, for which such a seemingly small things greatly complicate life ;)

Update:

that of setting the 'Destination Name' which will set the name of the subdirectory and move the data WITHOUT needing to go through the process changing the caption THEN moving the data with "Set Download Location"

Now I downloaded a small file for testing, then pressed "Stop" in the program, "Advanced" -> "Set Destination Name...", rename the file. On tab "Files" in main window of program are displayed changes, but really name of file on hdd not changed. And, accordingly, when I click "Start": "Error: Files missing from job..." :lol:

P.S. uTorrent 3.3.1 build 30017.

And the silence ... :)

I hope that this thread will read \ read the developers of the uTorrent and understand that the file selection dialog before downloading \ specify the new location of the renamed file in a uTorrent 3.* is very uncomfortable. And in the new builds\version of the uTorrent developers will do so, as it was earlier in the first and second versions.

Now I downloaded a small file for testing, then pressed "Stop" in the program, "Advanced" -> "Set Destination Name...", rename the file. On tab "Files" in main window of program are displayed changes, but really name of file on hdd not changed. And, accordingly, when I click "Start": "Error: Files missing from job..." lol

P.S. uTorrent 3.3.1 build 30017.

Okay, I reported that particular bug at http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=131028

I haven't tested it since but I guess that the above quote demontrates it has not been fixed yet (or even noticed and added to the "Bug tracker").

Archived