Behind a wirewall, can't seem to bust through

Technarch

Select a different port to use, many ISPs monitor this port due to the increased traffic of copywritten material through bittorrent. Pick a port at random, foward it, and then reconfigure utorrent. Hopefully this can help you get past your issue. If it is actually your firewall and it won't let you foward any ports, you will need to refer to your manual for support.

People, i think you are totaly missing the point of the question.

the problem isn't with the port he is using but with the port the tracker is using, and he probably can't change the firewall settings.

using a proxy might help since the port the proxy is runing on could be unblocked, a socks proxy might be advised.

this is a real good site for routers/port-forwarding: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

actually the info they have regarding ports is outdated (they mention using ports 6881-6889).

as someone already pointed out, use a higher port like 50000.

the term "outdated" in this context is irrelevant. the number could be anyone within the specific range, as long as the client and router agree to that number. i'm sure anyone would know that the range of 6881-6889 does not HAVE to be used.

this is a real good site for routers/port-forwarding: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

actually the info they have regarding ports is outdated (they mention using ports 6881-6889).

as someone already pointed out, use a higher port like 50000.

i'm sure anyone would know that the range of 6881-6889 does not HAVE to be used.

noobs haven't the slightest clue to use any other ports. i've helped a TON of people in other forums who have told me "well i went to portforward and put in 6881-6889" - they trust what portforward says because people have told them to go there and follow the directions on the site.

and yes, of course we know that 6881-6889 can be throttled by ISPs, which is why we don't use those ports. noobs don't know, so they put in 6881-6889.

Archived