wanting to become a better seeder

raisane

i have been browsing for 2 days now on how to increase my upload speed.

my speed: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3009882266

yet somehow I still seed between 1kb/s and 20kb/s

so I tried to forward my ports. it seems like i had to make my IP static. but by doing so it screwed up the internet connection on not only my PC, but also on every other pc/laptop. when i reversed it my PC still had some errors etc resulting in both me not wanting to try it again and my parents not wanting me to.

So i tried enabling UPnP in both my router and utorrent. which failed.

how can I either make UPnP work, or let myself seed better without those things. A friend of mine also told me it's not smart to screw with opening ports etc when you're not experienced in doing so.

A friend of mine also told me it's not smart to screw with opening ports etc when you're not experienced in doing so.

Sort of true, but just as long as you can read and understand a router manual, it's not that difficult and you can't 'break' anything permanently.

it seems like i had to make my IP static. but by doing so it screwed up the internet connection on not only my PC, but also on every other pc/laptop.
Before you start manually setting IPs you DO need to know something about networking.
Your upload sped depends on how quickly peers will request pieces from your client, not your upload speed.

A friend of mine also told me it's not smart to screw with opening ports etc when you're not experienced in doing so.

Sort of true' date=' but just as long as you can read and understand a router manual, it's not that difficult and you can't 'break' anything permanently.

it seems like i had to make my IP static. but by doing so it screwed up the internet connection on not only my PC, but also on every other pc/laptop.
Before you start manually setting IPs you DO need to know something about networking.
Your upload sped depends on how quickly peers will request pieces from your client, not your upload speed.

I followed a youtube video exactly on how to do it, and it screwed stuff up.

as for it depending on peers. one of them is a torrent of 120 seeders 75 leechers. yet I only give 1.5kb/s to around 3 people. and nothing to anybody else.

No surprises there then.

as for it depending on peers. one of them is a torrent of 120 seeders 75 leechers. yet I only give 1.5kb/s to around 3 people. and nothing to anybody else.

And?? That's the way it is, you can't make peers download from your client.

Sort of true' date=' but just as long as you can read and understand a router manual, it's not that difficult and you can't 'break' anything permanently.

thank you for clearing it up for me. guess I don't have to screw around with ports anymore :)

Archived