Why no UK/IE peers seen from US?

BigChicken

As an American (SoCal), logically, there should still be a predominance of UK peers for certain motorsports events, but that is never the case.

I'll have peers from all over the world: fi, se, cz, lt, it, gr, ro, nl, dk, fr, de, ca, pt, no, hr, bg, ar, br, ru, th, nz, au.cn, jp

These are the ..usual suspects. I saw my first ch today. My first cl the other day. Way more Portugal than expected – always. Never once UK or Ireland that I can remember. That just can't be.

There are a LOT of American peers too – perhaps too many for certain sporting events. It's stupid, but I imagine UK/Ire are converted to US IP addresses somehow - feeding the whole "lap poodle" self-hate thing...

Or perhaps a vast majority have VPNs and exit points in the US so they can get Netflix or whatever.

It's just a nagging question. Thanks.

One other thing – I installed uTorrent on a just-received used Win7Pro machine and most of my peers were funky IPv6 addresses for a couple of days. Then Windows (I don't think it was even Security Essentials – threw a formal Windows looking pop-up saying that it was limiting uTorrent functionality for security purposes. Unfortunately I rushed out of it and didn't get a screen shot.

Malwarebytes also throws numerous "declined access" bubbles for certain IP addresses on this new Win7 install. I had to turn off notifications.

I just add this with the idea that maybe the lack of UK thing is somehow client side filtration???

logically, there should still be a predominance of UK peers for certain motorsports events,

Why??

but I imagine UK/Ire are converted to US IP addresses somehow

uTorrent uses a user fed system for the flag display

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=2070

If the hostname -> country flag is wrong then it is somewhat less than useful and more a waste of system resources to display them.

Not sure that I follow your logic there, why would you expect the UK to have lots of P2P users seeking Formula one torrents, and even if there are, why should they connect to your client, because I doubt very much that your client is the only one that F1 torrents are available from.

Not sure that I follow your logic there, why would you expect the UK to have lots of P2P users seeking Formula one torrents, and even if there are, why should they connect to your client, because I doubt very much that your client is the only one that F1 torrents are available from.

I think what he's getting at is that if you assume 80% of users torrenting something are from the UK, then 80% of your connections should be with UK peers, on average. Unless there is something that causes a large enough bias to effectively not have any UK peers.

Personally, most of my torrents are about half not USA peers.

I think what he's getting at is that if you assume 80% of users torrenting something are from the UK, then 80% of your connections should be with UK peers, on average. Unless there is something that causes a large enough bias to effectively not have any UK peers.

Yeah sure, but Formula 1??

About the ONLY country/continent in the world that it is NOT hugely popular is the USA/North America :) and the UK and Eire don't really need to get F1 racing from peer to peer networking, simply because it is broadcast on a public TV network, the BBC.

So realistically I would be more surprised if the opposite were true, and UK and Eire peers were the majority of consumers (downloading peers) rather than being providers (seeds).

Personally, most of my torrents are about half not USA peers.

Exactly.

At this point it's all but fact (for SoCal dsl-Verizon anyway – with my neighbor sampling maybe 50+ F1 torrents over the last year).

But I guess I'm going to answer myself as to the original question of “why?” I had thought [idealistically] that pretty much all IPs are equal across the domain, but maybe through algorithmic process in uTorrent (or infrastructure) lower ms peers can (should..) dominate a peer list. Obviously it's more efficient for “locals” to share as much as possible on a network. I guess I'd be surprised if that was not the case.

I'm just curious if UK downloaders are looking at their uTorrent peer list of the same F1 sessions and seeing 50%+ UK – and 50%- potpourri from the rest of the world – which is perhaps about what everyone experiences (by design?).

But it's worse. My neighbor hasn't seen ANY UK / Irish peers this year – and that is concerning relative to the notion of a “free and open” internet.

I would not be surprised if GCHQ has manipulative power over what goes in/out of the UK (100% of Ireland traffic goes through the UK infrastructure?) – as but one example to try and explain the anomaly. (Slowly turning the thumb screws – or – like lobsters and hot water...)

Perhaps the only authoritative way to resolve this would be hearing from someone who, say, travels between LA/London (or whatever) and uses the same machine/app – but via different networks – and can compare directly peer collection disparity – over the course of say a business weekend trip and the same torrent files. I no longer travel for business, or I would do exactly that.

I would not be surprised if GCHQ has manipulative power over what goes in/out of the UK (100% of Ireland traffic goes through the UK infrastructure?) – as but one example to try and explain the anomaly. (Slowly turning the thumb screws – or – like lobsters and hot water...)

I would suggest that falls into the category of paranoid clap trap.

But it's worse. My neighbor hasn't seen ANY UK / Irish peers this year – and that is concerning relative to the notion of a “free and open” internet.
How????

The ONLY thing it shows is that UK and Eire BitTorrent users are not connecting to one or two other peers located half-way around the world for downloading material of what is relatively a fairly minority sport that they don't even need to download from P2P in the first place.

That's an insightful comment schnurlos. Thank you.

I've never been denied a UK website (Guardian, bbc.co.uk, Barclays.co.uk, Amazon & eBay .uk, etc.), but then, Verizon may have very specific UK residential ranges that are “low hanging fruit” for them to block to improve overall network performance. Very possible.

My neighbor has never used an ipfilter.

I just downloaded and hooked up an ipfilter.dat file yesterday for the first time, oddly enough. However I just used it for syntax – deleting every entry – and am adding just 3 or 4 line-items to cut-off specific BitComet 1.3x clients who are taking 100-1000x more than they are sharing – consistently. Not cool.

Archived