Portforwarding with IPv6

Orson Capra

I've searched the web for days without finding a guide on how to forward ports to become connectable in an IPv6 environment. Router is a Hitron CVE-30360, I did find guides with images on portforward.com, however they all refer to IPv4 only. I just switched carriers and now have a cable broadband connection, and after only 1 day the "Port Forwarding" tab vanished from the router's user interface and was replaced by a tab "Host Port", which means I am now running under IPv6. It's totally OK for me as this is the future protocol, but not if it's impossible to forward ports for proper torrenting. I did try to use the IPv6 address of the local computer (the new tab "Host Port" won't accept anything else) but that hasn't changed anything.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Router: Hitron CVE-30360

uTorrent Version: 3.3.2

That I know. It is a router.

Not a uTorrent issue so read the router manual.

So you're saying port forwarding is indeed possible with IPv6? Because the manual says "This function is unavailable when DS-Lite is enabled."

UPDATE: Did some research about my ISP and DS-Lite. Seems like they're using a NAT to route the traffic, so it's not even real IPv6. Guess I have to talk it out with them then.

Because IPv6 uses a six octet addressing (2^128) there is no need to forward ports.

NAT routing and port forwarding is also known as an "IP masquerade" because it allows for a single IPv4 address (four octet, 2^32) address to be used for 65,536 (2^8) individual devices (port addresses).

IPv6 REMOVES this limitation because it can address 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 individual nodes (that's 340 undecillion) so each process on your machine can have a v6 ip of it's very own.

Port forwarding is used when multiple devices share the same IP address, because it's ambiguous as to which device to forward the data. With IPv6, each device gets its own IP address, so there is no ambiguity, so no reason to have to indicate where to forward the data.

You may still need to "open" ports, but you should have to "forward" them.

Archived