Please help! Speed issues and not obvious ones, by the look of it

FredSlim

Hello,

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give on speed issues with uTorrent (3.3.2).

I'm running a Windows 7 system and for some time now I've been getting download speeds of under 5 kbps. I've painstakingly worked through all of the speed guides, switching various settings on and off with no luck, so I thought I'd try something else.

I borrowed a notebook, also loaded with Windows 7 but a relatively fresh system, and connected it directly to my router (as my main computer is). Speeds on this seem fine. They are both running the same security software (Windows Essentials + Firewall) and both using the same version of uTorrent with default settings.

I've run Glasnost tests multiple times and it doesn't appear that my ISP is blocking P2P traffic.

I've tried downloading exactly the same torrent on both systems (with uTorrent only running on one of them at any one time) and have noticed speeds around 10x faster on the borrowed notebook.

SO, I'm guessing it has to be something to do with the software setup on my main computer, but using the same version of uTorrent, same settings, same security software, same router, I can't work out what it could be.

Please help!

I am wondering the same question: I am getting between 10 and 15 Mb/s on ookla and glasnost. On some torrents only able to achieve 100 or Kb/s on downloading. I have Frontier FiOS. But, I think they are throttling downloads ... funny that after I ran M-Labs test and I got the "red" "X" when it ran the speed test ... then quit working when I tried a second time and I had to close uTorrent.

However, what do you think about an ISP using your mac address and putting some kind of throttling device on that IP address? I never used to have a static IP address from Frontier. I now have one that seems to be renewed daily (24hrs. to the second),

I thought about this .. I did change my plan. I believe I am on the 15/5 plan ...

The funny thing about all this is that I have all green bars for torrent health, added all the current trackers, have a ton of "seeds" in the columns, but I still only have around 100Kb/s downloading speeds.

I am going to try port forwarding ...

I used to turn my router off and on to get a new IP address ... tried this but I get the same IP address back even if I leave it off for 2 or 3 hours ...

This stuff drives me crazy and is really weird.

I now have one that seems to be renewed daily (24hrs. to the second),

If your ISPs DHCP lease is set for 86400 seconds (24 hours) your router would have to be disconnected for a minimun of 86401 seconds (24 hours + 1 second) to have a possibility or a different IP being assigned to the external interface.

funny that after I ran M-Labs test and I got the "red" "X" when it ran the speed test ... then quit working when I tried a second time and I had to close uTorrent.

There is a bug in that system, which is documented in several threads.

However, what do you think about an ISP using your mac address and putting some kind of throttling device on that IP address?

Well, ... Yes, again, that is something that is well documented on these forums, on dozens of other BitTorrent client forums and on EVERY Peer to Peer discussion forum, blog, Wiki, etc. etc. available on the Internet. ISP 'Throttling' is not a big secret and; If you read your ISPs terms of use you WILL find that they DO explain their policy on 'Throttling' or blocking for certain kinds of traffic

Archived