uTorrent not downloading

antbfc99

Hi,

After a bit of help with my torrent predicament! I'm new to downloading torrents (last month or so) and it was all going fine, I've completed several torrent downloads (few series and 5 films) with no problems at all. Last week I've had major problems with an amber light so I read through all the guides on here to make sure it was all set up okay. Then I read through the forum and saw that it could be a port forwarding issue. I have followed the guide on port forwarding and all appears okay... BUT the button on torrent is still amber (no incoming connections)

Not sure what info you may need to provide help so if you just say what you need (and preferably how to find it) that would be greatly appreciated.

Few other bits of info:

ISP BT using BT home hub 3

Utorrent installed on 6 month old macbook pro

No issues prior to this

Took laptop over to g/f's and without adjusting a thing I could download super fast (new GOT series done in 45 mins!) This means to be it's something with my ISP/Router but why would the problem only just have emerged!

Completed torrents are stored on an external hard drive

Looking forward to being an active part of this forum! Any help is appreciated :-)

Thanks for the reply ciaobaby. Yes I've seen that, but that was the case last week as well and I downloaded fine. I noticed that it would be throttled at peak times, so my download speed would decrease, I'd leave it running and off peak it would speed up and complete the download in no time. So I just don't see that thats the issue, surely i'd get something, albeit a slow speed, not an amber light and 0 seeds and peers?

Thanks in advance for your help

Thanks again for your response. i've run the Glasnost test and the results were:

Is your upload traffic rate limited?

Your ISP appears to rate limit your uploads.

Details:

* Your ISP appears to rate limit your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests, uploads using control flows achieved up to 16636 Kbps while uploads using BitTorrent achieved up to 980 Kbps.

* Your ISP appears to rate limit uploads on port 6881. In our tests, uploads on port 6881 achieved up to 16636 Kbps while uploads on port 57178 achieved up to 981 Kbps.

Is your download traffic rate limited?

Your ISP appears to rate limit your downloads.

Details:

* Your ISP appears to rate limit your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests, downloads using control flows achieved up to 23892 Kbps while downloads using BitTorrent achieved up to 29 Kbps.

* Your ISP appears to rate limit downloads on port 6881. In our tests, downloads on port 6881 achieved up to 23892 Kbps while downloads on port 57178 achieved up to 30 Kbps.

Detailed test results giving the throughput per flow Glasnost runs:

All BitTorrent and control flow transfers using port 6881

Transfer Direction Bandwidth BitTorrent flow Bandwidth control flow

Download #1 31 Kbps 29 Kbps

Download #2 28 Kbps 30 Kbps

Download #3 28 Kbps 30 Kbps

Upload #1 976 Kbps 981 Kbps

Upload #2 968 Kbps 970 Kbps

Upload #3 970 Kbps 970 Kbps

All BitTorrent and control flow transfers using port 57178

Transfer Direction Bandwidth BitTorrent flow Bandwidth control flow

Download #1 29 Kbps 23892 Kbps

Download #2 29 Kbps 20318 Kbps

Download #3 29 Kbps 23888 Kbps

Upload #1 959 Kbps 16543 Kbps

Upload #2 980 Kbps 16534 Kbps

Upload #3 980 Kbps 16636 Kbps

BitTorrent transfers using port 6881 and port 57178

Transfer Direction Bandwidth Port 6881 Bandwidth Port 57178

Download #1 31 Kbps 29 Kbps

Download #2 28 Kbps 29 Kbps

Download #3 28 Kbps 29 Kbps

Upload #1 976 Kbps 959 Kbps

Upload #2 968 Kbps 980 Kbps

Upload #3 970 Kbps 980 Kbps

Control flow transfers using port 6881 and port 57178

Transfer Direction Bandwidth Port 6881 Bandwidth Port 57178

Download #1 29 Kbps 23892 Kbps

Download #2 30 Kbps 20318 Kbps

Download #3 30 Kbps 23888 Kbps

Upload #1 981 Kbps 16543 Kbps

Upload #2 970 Kbps 16534 Kbps

Upload #3 970 Kbps 16636 Kbps

I've disabled the firewall on my home hub and i have a green light! woo! I have port forwarding set on 60300, but I'm still not actually getting any downloads starting... Saying 0 peers and 0 seeds on a popular download...

Think i'm nearly there, any suggestions to get over the finish line?

Edit: And just as I post the amber light is back on :-(

Edit 2: Left it running and now the light is grey... no internet connection

okay thanks ciaobaby... I've just looked at BTguard, if i am being limited, think this may be worth a shot? Appreciate I have to pay for it but if it might work....

One thing that is bothering me is why I could download LOADS of files just 2 weeks ago with no issues whatsoever...

I thought a preferable range was between 40000-65000? Either way is that the same as the TCP port i mentioned? So a proxy server won't help. Do you think a VPN is the way forward? I'm sure there must be a way round it or most BT torrent customers would be having the same problem.

Thanks again ciaobaby, been a great help so far :)

Archived