utorrent freezes during load

icebox

I had to force close utorrent 3.3.2, last build of it, when I was restarting the computer and it froze when I was trying to close a large number of torrents at once, and the speed window was inadvertenly open as I was distracted, and this causes a crash.  Anyway, when I restarted the computer, utorrent started loading torrents, and unfortunately about 2400 were running when it crashed, so torrents were loading and starting, it got to loading 1460 torrents (out of 3400), and then the blue circle came up and it went non responsive.  Force close, same thing, same thing, same thing.  I renamed the resume.dat file, and the program opened without freezing.  It appears that there's a problem with the current resume.  So I try resume.old, same problem.  The strange thing is that the program stops at 1460, then would restart and the number of torrents would tic up one more time, any where between 1465 and 1523 torrents before going non responsive (and I've let it sit for 10 minutes with no change.  It's locked.  Process tab shows utorrent with about 250MB of ram, 0% cpu).  I can't really try to change things as the torrents are loading because after the first time this happens after a reboot, it loads 500 at a time until it gets to 1460, which gives me less than 5 seconds to do anything. I tried downloading 3.4 stable, but that did the same thing.  I went back to an much older version of utorrent, but that wouldn't load at all.  uninstalling it inadvertently deleted the resume.dat from when this started. 

I went to last night's backup and reinstalled the entire utorrent directory, which reinstalled 3.3.2, and resume.dat is from 23 hours ago.  The exact same thing happens.  This I don't get.  Something is going wrong but I don't know what, and I really can't go without the data in resume.dat.  I'll never figure out which torrents to load otherwise, or be able to figure which to delete.  I don't think that resume.dat is corrupt, I think it's something else.  The day before I was able to restart utorrent without trouble, though those were after more controlled force closes (I had a couple of overloads, and when I get an overload, I shut everything down, wait a couple of minutes, then kill the process). 

Any ideas for what I can do?  This is all on a win 7 computer, fully patched to Jan 2014 patches.

One thing I should add, last month a similar thing happened where utorrent would get about 1310 torrents loaded and then freeze, and after hours of playing around it loaded up and went back to normal.  I couldn't figure out what I did that caused it to stop freezing at the time, so don't know what to do this time. 

Final update.  Given 10 hours over night and in the AM, it finished loading in between long non responsive times.  The program works normally, and went shutdown and restart in normal times afterwards.  But I don't get what causes this in the first place.

Archived