G'day from downunder!!

PMcB

G'day all.

Very new to 'torrenting', totally lost, can't find any information in logical form anywhere, bloody near 60, and a Star Trek freak!! That's me in a nutshell.  :wacko:

Guys and gals, I've spent the past several days browsing the net and today the forum and fair dinkum, I can't find any real information on µtorrent anywhere.

I use an iMac (mid2010) and love it. Got Win7 32bit installed in Parallels and Win7 64bit installed in Boot Camp. I HATE WINDOWS WITH A PASSION but need the damn thing for a couple of dedicated software packages. Drives me nuts, world's biggest virus,lol....

Any way, I've come to a fork in the road, should I continue using µtorrent Mavericks or change to Windows? Guys I haven't even been able to find a definite difference between a seeder, a peer and a leech. I sort of understand that a seeder is supplying bits, a peer is receiving those bits, but a leech? As far as I can tell, a leech seems to be a thief. A thief? Geez!! I don't understand.

I've had success downloading (Star Trek Voyager ;)  ), rather large files, am currently definitely seeding the first, appear to be seeding as well as D/Ling 2nd file, bracketed seeds and peers are amazingly similar for both files (90) seeds (64) peers. When I D/led the 1st file its speed averaged around 500kB/s ranging from 10kB/s up to 1.5MB/s (WooT). The 2nd file's D/L speed hasn't gone above 100kB/s and spends time down around 10 - 20 kB/s... Seed/Peer figures are 17(90) / 10(68), ratio 0.088, availability 21.998......

Is there a link to a definitive Guide to µtorrent? Ya gotta remember that us old farts are behind the 8 ball from the get go  :lol:

Many, many thanks to you all.

Archived