Need control

maverick_around

Hi all,

I m new to this torrent thing. Started yday itself. I have read the FAQs and still Q is not solved. I m looking at my downloads. And I see that there are peers, uploading and downloading. But some are flagged. When i see the flag, there is a flag that I am asking for data and the user is not giving, it is thus choked. How can tht user do it?

I need to know as to how you deny giving data. so far i have been seeding well, so dont want to be selfish, but i need to know how u do it...

Secondly, in the seeding priority tab under the preferences in utorrent, there is seed while ratio is 150%...what is this 150% abt and how much should it be?

thnx

Secondly, in the seeding priority tab under the preferences in utorrent, there is seed while ratio is 150%...what is this 150% abt and how much should it be?

The 150% means that you will continue seeding until you have shared back 1.5 times as much as you have taken. 100% would mean that you gave back exactly as much as you took. Less than 100% means that you aren't uploading as much as you are downloading.

As a general rule, you should always seed to 100% - more if you're feeling generous. Personally, I set mine at 130% since I have no limits on my monthly bandwith although I override this default sometimes.

You can override this default setting for any individual torrent by double clicking on it and checking "overide settings". Then enter the % you desire.

Thanks dear

Does limiting upload speed have any effect on download speed?

Yes. Bitorrent technology works on a tit for tat system so if you share with me, I'll share with you. Thus you get better download speeds if your upload speed is high. However, you do have to limit your upload speed to about 75% of your maximum capacity in order to maximise your download speed. If you set your upload speed to unlimited, your download speeds will suffer.

You can test your upload/download capacity at many sites on the internet. It's worth running the test a few times to get an accurate measure. Then limit your upload speed to about 75% of the capacity. e.g. if maximum upload was 100kBps then you would set it to 75kBps.

Adjust this setting under:

Options>Preferences>Network>Global Maximum Upload rate

and if yo know what your uploadspeed is, you can also use the drop downlist in the speed guide (CTRL+G) and choose there the value for your UPloadspeed. Using this setting will automaticly set the other parameters to values that will give you the ability to download with your maximum possible downloadspeed (if the swarm can give you that) while uploading the same time a fair amount to other sharers.

Regarding the chocked thing.

This is not a function you can manually influence: chooking is something the client will do automaticly. It would go to much into technical detail of the BT-protocoll now, but all you need to know is that this is nothing you need to worry about. your µT will chooke others, others will chooke you from time to time. Perfectly normal! And even when someone is downloading x MB from you and you just have gotten a few Kb or even nothing from him in return than this is is in most cases also totally normal and no need to be worried about

Archived