Connecting to peers stuck from windows sleep

EdeB

Hi, I have a pretty basic setup where uTorrent scans my Download folder for new torrent files and add them automatically, this works just fine, but sometimes the torrents get stuck on "connecting to peers". There is sufficient net connection and even seeding is working properly. There is surely no problem with the router or the firewalls, because the problem comes up from time to time without any kind of change in their settings.

What I think is that it may be connected to the sleep function, specifically Windows 8.1 Sleep (Hybrid sleep is disabled). Sometimes when the pc wakes from sleep mode (every morning on a scheduled task) the currently downloading torrents get stuck on Connecting to peers. Already downloaded torrents are seeding with no problem. Restarting the computer seems to solve it, as well if I kill the uTorrent in task manager (it doesn't shut down correctly if I close it from the tray in this stage). I did not notice this behavior before I started to use sleep often.

Somewhere on the windows wake up and the "restart" of the utorrent something happens, any idea how to fix it, or should i just write a script timed a minute later that force closes utorrent and reopens it? I don't want to restart my pc every time I see something like this (restarting the pc takes less time than force closing utorrent)

Thanks for the help

i get that too but i also get another problem that has come up in the last 48 hours possibly relating to the up grade to v 3.4.2

i pasted this in another post just a moment ago

they had another problem they said: "i start downloading anything with utorrent 3.4.2 version when i start new torrent it starts downloading at full normal speed, but after a few seconds it drops to 1 kb/s and stays that way, the only way to fix this is to shut down utorrent via task manager and restart it again"

i said

"I have this problem too, i thought that it was my firewall but i checked it and no visible signs there? i cleaned the crap up on my OS and reg etc rebooted my computer and my internet connection i restarted and it would do exactly the same again from full speed to 1kb/s and often zero .

by testing my connection then trying the setup option in U torrent where it tests my connection i am realising it stops connecting to the internet properly all by its self, at first i thought my isp was filtering/blocking it, i put it on random port etc put the same results, so only since the upgrade to 3.4.2 version is it doing this, am i missing something here? i have been trying all day to fix something that is not working without any success"

its a long winded way of asking if you just had the up date to v3.4.2?

cause your problem may be linked too? i just joined this forum do these posts get answered often?

i get that too but i also get another problem that has come up in the last 48 hours possibly relating to the up grade to v 3.4.2

i pasted this in another post just a moment ago

they had another problem they said: "i start downloading anything with utorrent 3.4.2 version when i start new torrent it starts downloading at full normal speed, but after a few seconds it drops to 1 kb/s and stays that way, the only way to fix this is to shut down utorrent via task manager and restart it again"

i said

"I have this problem too, i thought that it was my firewall but i checked it and no visible signs there? i cleaned the crap up on my OS and reg etc rebooted my computer and my internet connection i restarted and it would do exactly the same again from full speed to 1kb/s and often zero .

by testing my connection then trying the setup option in U torrent where it tests my connection i am realising it stops connecting to the internet properly all by its self, at first i thought my isp was filtering/blocking it, i put it on random port etc put the same results, so only since the upgrade to 3.4.2 version is it doing this, am i missing something here? i have been trying all day to fix something that is not working without any success"

its a long winded way of asking if you just had the up date to v3.4.2?

cause your problem may be linked too? i just joined this forum do these posts get answered often?

I have the 3.4.2 update (I'm unsure since when, most likely it updated automatically immediately as it was available), I will try an older version, but I think the 2 problem has no connection.

As for your problem, I had a similar problem about 2 years ago, when my 2nd hdd was dying, utorrent simply started the download, cached as much to the memory as it was available for it, then started to write on the disk, but couldnt write faster than few kbps, because it was not functioning properly. Make a chkdsk, open the task manager and check the disk usage when this happens, or if possible put the torrent download folder to an other hdd.

I hope I could help you, meanwhile I tested an older version (3.4.1) and the original problem happened after the second sleep.

Archived