Vista Beta 2

ardom2

• 1 month later...

I'm having problems with utorrent 1.6 and Windows Vista build 5384. I'm getting "Access denied" after a clean install of Vista and utorrent (and nothing else installed initially) and loading torrents that were halfway through downloading. Have gone through the FAQ troubleshooting (although I can't unregister Windows video file preview on Vista with the run command given) and it's still happening.

Weird thing is, it's intermittent, sometimes it does it sometimes it can go 1 hour to 1/2 a day without giving the error. Hopefully it's just generic "access denied" rather than something specific to Vista.

Another weird thing - if I right click > properties the folder I keep my torrents in the "read only" is always shaded indicating some file(s) are read only in the sub folders, even if I untick read only and let it "un-read only" all the files and sub folder files

• 5 months later...

as far as I can tell utorrent is not vista compatible. It does work yeah but all the bigger downloads are usually done up to 99% and reported as finished. SO I think they are allright when they arent. I have to rehash every single file that it finished 100% now. This kind of sux big time¨!

talking about Vista final and ut 1.6

The whole Permissions thing is really screwing up a lot of programs. When I installed uTorrent on my Vista setup, I just did "run" from IE on the utorrent.exe file (downloaded from here), let uTorrent try and "install" itself, get the error, close, get the "did this program encounter an error?" dialog, told it to restart as an administrator, install itself, then it ran like a charm.

I think programs running from the "program files" folder have special permissions. You might want to try conforming to the Microsoftian model and placing your utorrent.exe file in a folder in Program Files and try it like that.

edit: BTW, you just replied to a topic that's old as dirt. The current Vista build is the RTM version (release to manufacturing), build 6000. These guys are talking about versions just after MS announced that it was called "Vista". :P

well i didnt really install it. Its a left over on my E: drive from XP.

yeah I used google to find VISTA and uttorent and this was the first post that showed up so i registered and replied lol.

Anyway as I already said I got the final Vista and 1.6 and it finishes all bigger files like DVDs then I rehash and its always missing around 1%. Smaller files like TV series usually work normal without rehashing needed.

Archived