Won't use backup resume.dat after crash

vector

Recently I had a system crash (kernel error BSOD) and when I rebooted by computer all the torrents in my session were gone. The file %appdata%\uTorrent\resume.dat and resume.dat.old were both nearly blank (I opened them in a text editor and saw the characters "de").

I have a backup of the %appdata%\uTorrent folder from a few days ago, so I overwrote that folder from the backup. This overwrote resume.dat and resume.dat.old with versions that were not blank (they were 179K each). However, when I tried reopening uTorrent, the torrents were still gone and it replaced resume.dat with a new blank file. I tried this again after setting the resume.dat and resume.dat.old as read only but it still overwrote resume.dat with a blank version.

I've got multiple backups of the %appdata%\uTorrent folder if that's any help, and I really don't want to add the ~350 torrents I had back in manually. I'm running WinXP SP2 on a Dell Inspiron 5150. Thank you.

EDIT - I renamed my drive yesterday. The letters are still the same but I changed the names from "Local Drive" to something else. I that why it won't accept the old resume.dat?

if you have the .torrent files open up utorrent click add torrent, scroll over to the file that has the .torrent files and highlight all and click ok. after find the file that .torrent file created (if the .torrent file made folder called music use that) as your save location and hit ok, if you do evething right it will start a check

Maybe I wasn't clear in the original post. I have the torrents and I could certainly add them in manually as you suggest. However, the last time I lost my torrents (there are about 350 of them, maybe 250GB worth, on three different drives) it took 3 hours to add them all back manually. In the past, I have been able to add them all back by overwritting the resume.dat file I mentionned with a backup version, but this time I can't

I have a backup of the Application Data\uTorrent folder, including all the torrents and the resume.dat, but when I overwrite the files from the backup and start uTorrent, uTorrent replaces the backup resume.dat (which lists 350 torrents) with a new blank one. I'm trying to figure out why, because this has worked in the past.

EDIT - nevermind after I renamed the drives to their old names it accepted the backup resume.dat without problems...I tried this before but I didn't have the correct names.

Thanks anyways guys

• 1 year later...

Archived