uTorrent (any version) + PeerBlock = interesting activity ???

SyKoTiK

Hopefully someone can explain what the hell is going on. I have seen this with all versions of uTorrent, and with all versions of PeerBlock, so I won't bother listing version numbers so no confusion is added to the mix. Here is my situation: I have uTorrent running in the background, NO torrents are even listed in uTorrent (nothing started, paused, stopped, etc.), and PeerBlock running in the background. I view the PeerBlock log window and see MILLIONS of connections being blocked - both inbound and outbound - referencing the port that I specifically use for BitTorrent traffic (60999) and nothing else. As soon as I exit uTorrent (stop the process) all of the activity stops and there is nothing logged in PeerBlock (no connections are coming in or leaving - as I would expect). As soon as I launch uTorrent again (still with NOTHING loaded into it - no torrents at all) I immediately get TONS of connections being blocked all pointing to my BitTorrent port. Even if I change the port number in either uTorrent or the port redirection/forwarding rule in my router the blocking follows the new port. What the hell is uTorrent doing in the background, when there are no torrent files loaded into it, that is causing inbound/outbound connections to be established (or at least attempted in the case of them being blocked by PeerBlock)?!?!?

DHT enabled?

Yes. Is that what's causing all of the activity? It's just updating the hash tables? It must be. As soon as I disable DHT the activity stops. I guess I should have popped over to Wireshark to see what the packet headers were saying, or something. Maybe I would have answered my own question(s). :)

Thank you for answering them for me, though.

Hopefully someone can explain what the hell is going on. I have seen this with all versions of uTorrent, and with all versions of PeerBlock, so I won't bother listing version numbers so no confusion is added to the mix. Here is my situation: I have uTorrent running in the background, NO torrents are even listed in uTorrent (nothing started, paused, stopped, etc.), and PeerBlock running in the background. I view the PeerBlock log window and see MILLIONS of connections being blocked - both inbound and outbound - referencing the port that I specifically use for BitTorrent traffic (60999) and nothing else. As soon as I exit uTorrent (stop the process) all of the activity stops and there is nothing logged in PeerBlock (no connections are coming in or leaving - as I would expect). As soon as I launch uTorrent again (still with NOTHING loaded into it - no torrents at all) I immediately get TONS of connections being blocked all pointing to my BitTorrent port. Even if I change the port number in either uTorrent or the port redirection/forwarding rule in my router the blocking follows the new port. What the hell is uTorrent doing in the background, when there are no torrent files loaded into it, that is causing inbound/outbound connections to be established (or at least attempted in the case of them being blocked by PeerBlock)?!?!?

I wonder if this is related to the problem of all the bandwidth being eaten up by utorrent. Although I have DHT turned off in my Utorrent trying to figure out what the heck or why it is sucking everything..

Hopefully someone can explain what the hell is going on. I have seen this with all versions of uTorrent' date=' and with all versions of PeerBlock, so I won't bother listing version numbers so no confusion is added to the mix. Here is my situation: I have uTorrent running in the background, NO torrents are even listed in uTorrent (nothing started, paused, stopped, etc.), and PeerBlock running in the background. I view the PeerBlock log window and see MILLIONS of connections being blocked - both inbound and outbound - referencing the port that I specifically use for BitTorrent traffic (60999) and nothing else. As soon as I exit uTorrent (stop the process) all of the activity stops and there is nothing logged in PeerBlock (no connections are coming in or leaving - as I would expect). As soon as I launch uTorrent again (still with NOTHING loaded into it - no torrents at all) I immediately get TONS of connections being blocked all pointing to my BitTorrent port. Even if I change the port number in either uTorrent or the port redirection/forwarding rule in my router the blocking follows the new port. What the hell is uTorrent doing in the background, when there are no torrent files loaded into it, that is causing inbound/outbound connections to be established (or at least attempted in the case of them being blocked by PeerBlock)?!?!?[/quote']

I wonder if this is related to the problem of all the bandwidth being eaten up by utorrent. Although I have DHT turned off in my Utorrent trying to figure out what the heck or why it is sucking everything..

That sounds like more like over-saturation of your connection. Maybe you've got your bandwidth limits in uTorrent set too close to what your maximum speeds are and it's not accounting for the overhead of each connection, which is basically just not leaving any room for you to do anything else while downloading/uploading in uTorrent.

DHT enabled?

Yes. Is that what's causing all of the activity? It's just updating the hash tables? It must be. As soon as I disable DHT the activity stops. I guess I should have popped over to Wireshark to see what the packet headers were saying' date=' or something. Maybe I would have answered my own question(s). :)

Thank you for answering them for me, though.[/quote']

I guess I spoke too soon. I still have DHT disabled, and I also disabled "Local Peer Discovery" since I don't have any other clients on my LAN, and all of the sudden I started getting more connections being blocked. All UDP packets, just like before. I opened up Wireshark and captured a few packets, and they data portion of each packet is showing something about an infohash. Any more ideas?

Packet capture of a few packets, in case you're curious - http://www.mediafire.com/?akubkk9tbjy1625

Just disabling DHT after having it enabled isn't enough. You need to change your IP/Port combination because your client got propagated somewhat in the DHT itself.

Honestly, this is ultimately just peerblock being overparanoid.

Thought as much but I thought I'd at least ask to be safe(er). Thank you again.

Archived