Error: "The Device is Not Ready"

sj26

I'm trying to figure out what this means. I'm using a notebook on a wireless connection to an ADSL router configured with random ports NAT'd by UPnP. Whenever a torrent is started it'll download for a while (say 5 minutes) and then stop with the status "Error: The device is not ready."

uTorrent 1.1.7.2

Windows XP Pro SP2 (was SP1, same problem)

P-M 1.6 Ghz

512MB RAM

60GB HDD (>45GB free)

Any ideas?

Do you have any USB-devices connected to the notebook? Try removing them (not the wireless adapter if you have one on USB) and see if the message goes away.

If you have a wireless USB-network device, try installing the windows drivers for it if you have the brandname ones installed, or install the brandname ones if you have the windows drivers installed.

OK, I've narrowed the field a bit now. Firstly, it's not the connection. I switched to a wired network and this had no effect. I removed all USB devices. I also changed my power settings to make sure everything's on all the time (I suspected it might be the hard drive which was turning off, but I changed this to no effect).

I've also tried disabling UPnP. No difference.

I'll check the event logger.

Screen saver is disabled.

I have a hunch that it's the hard drive. It's a fairly recent notebook (~1-2 yo) but I think it's got a 4200rpm hdd which may be causing problems with the number of torrents I'm running simultaneously. I'm trying to max out a 12000 kB/s (1500 kb/s) connection but I can only get it to ~1600 kB/s (200 kb/s), even on popular torrents.

Okay, I checked the event logs and nothing comes up. This is using 1.2 by the way, stil getting the same error, word-for-word.

I'm fairly certain it's the HDD now. Even when increasing the cache to reduce write operations a bit it still chugs along and gives this error.

• 2 years later...

Archived