uTorrent crashes DNS

timarland

OK - I have searched for my issue here on the boards, but I haven't found anything exactly like what I'm encountering. I have an Airlink+ 54g wireless router, Comcast cable modem. When I fire up uTorrent and start several downloads, my internet browsing capability ends. I am still connected to the internet, but I cannot ping any websites. I can ping my router, I can ping the IP address of my DNS servers, but I can't ping www.yahoo.com. The only thing that seems to work is restarting my router. Then that only works for a few seconds. If exit uTorrent, then restart my router, everything works fine and I have no problems. Any ideas?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I've had exactly the same issue and was pulling my hair out over it. None of the above fixes would help, as soon as I had a busy torrent in my list, DNS was dead. Today I *finally* found the solution!

1. Stop the windows service "DNS client" and set it to "Manual".

2. Properties of My Network Places -> Properties of Network Card -> Properties of TCP/IP

3. Under "Use the following DNS server addresses", enter two servers of your choice

(use Google and ping to check if they are alive)

--> Voila, that should fix your problems.

I'm stoked, I finally get the little country flags for peers next to the IPs, too. How exciting! :)

• 2 months later...
I've had exactly the same issue and was pulling my hair out over it. None of the above fixes would help, as soon as I had a busy torrent in my list, DNS was dead. Today I *finally* found the solution!

1. Stop the windows service "DNS client" and set it to "Manual".

2. Properties of My Network Places -> Properties of Network Card -> Properties of TCP/IP

3. Under "Use the following DNS server addresses", enter two servers of your choice

(use Google and ping to check if they are alive)

--> Voila, that should fix your problems.

I'm stoked, I finally get the little country flags for peers next to the IPs, too. How exciting! :)

I'm having problems with losing all internet connectivity, router communication and torrent speeds after a few minutes of torrent use and ive tried literally everything on this forum to fix it...except this! Thanks for posting it, i'll try it as soon as I get home from work and let you know :)

Archived