Feature request(s)

Kludge

Couldn't see a feature request thread, so thought i'd start one!

My biggest feature i would like to see implemented...

Something similar to a Kick/Ban for certain peers, either a one-off like AZ has, or maybe even better, if this is implemented, I think you'll have an EXCELLENT feature, that will attract a lot of people!

If anyone is familiar with the "stuffer" plugin for AZureus, then you'll know how powerful it is... This is one of my favourite plugins for AZ, and probably the biggest reason why i've not made the big leap yet

For those not familiar with "stuffer" it can be configured to auto kick/ban certain client types... Stuffer has 4 client types that are selectable from a drop-down list

I have mine set to "BitComet" "BitLord" "Unknown" and "Shareaza"

That feature would certainly be a big decider in my jump from AZ... I absolultely love this client, and want to see it do well!

it might very well SOUND an `idiotic` idea to you, but since i have been nuking all bitcomet & bitlord peers, the average swarm speed has increased, average peer speed has increased. BitComet STILL is a bad client what with its default behaviour

http://www.p2pforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=17540

^ above is one of many reasons for my disliking, and continual banning of those clients, uninformed choices leading to bad client choices deserve nothing short of being kick/banned on peoples clients that respect a decent protocol abiding client

I have had a chat on IRC about the problems of Comet/Lord (which is a blatent rip of a Beta Bitcomet release ANYWAY)

EDIT: to ban just about every client apart from other Azureus users

Reading about your client really helps!

And why on earth do you use stuffer to ban just about every client apart from other Azureus users?
and as for that remark... If you REALLY think that there are only 2 or 3 clients, then you're not at all well informed, are you :(

Kludge, not sure if you havent read it yet but when DHT comes...

IT ISNT GOING SUPPORT AZ DHT!!!!!

and banning by client used isnt right thing to do and shouldnt not be supported by client... idea of bittorrent being open-protocol is that anyone can code their own client to use with the protocol... and im not convienced about that bitcomet/bitlord thing until i see my favorite privtracker&publictracker both ban it...

I agree about the client banning... and excellent news (about the Azureus implementation)!

As for the DHT vs private tracker issue... I think it's up to the tracker admins to enforce a rule of setting the private flag in torrents (and if µTorrent doesn't already support it, maybe consider doing so?)

anyone know why the want to implement bittorrent/bitcomet's DHT instead of azureus's DHT ?

Kinda wondering that too. As far as I can tell, more people are using Azureus so Azureus DHT is going to get more peers/seeders. Having said that, DHT support on the whole is great, so I'm not complaining. It'll be an amazing day if both their DHTs are supported

As for client banning, we believe it's the tracker admin's job to take care of it and not µTorrent's. We try not to discriminate.

You, as authors have an excellent client on your hands!... I would probably not move over from AZ if i could not kick/ban users/client types of my choice... I would even do this manually, one by one if needed, rather than have a feature that auto bans set client types ( user configurable, of course ) maybe have this implemented, but DISABLED by default... So if you know WHAT it is/does, then enable, and configure

That way it would keep everyone happy, i'd say :)

As for the DHT vs private tracker issue... I think it's up to the tracker admins to enforce a rule of setting the private flag in torrents (and if µTorrent doesn't already support it, maybe consider doing so?)

I heartily agree. If µTorrent were to support the Private flag in torrents (perhaps even in preparation for future DHT support?) it would make uploading to private trackers much easier, as the .torrent would not need to be modified by the tracker and redownloaded by the user.

Information on Private/Secure torrents can be found at http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/SecureTorrents

edit: Wow, this has been implemented in version 1.1.5! Thank You!

Archived