Utorrent freezes Windows 7 64-bit

ggerrard83

I have seen other forums regarding this issue but I haven't found a solution for it yet.

I have been using uTorrent without issue until recently when I hardwired my computer room with CAT6. Now, any time I use uTorrent when connected on the cable, Windows completely freezes and I have to do a hard reboot. Just to test, I disabled my ethernet adapter and flipped on my wireless adapter. uTorrent ran for hours and never crashed. I switched back to wired ethernet and it crashes within minutes. Here are my specs...

Windows 7 64-bit

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600

4gb DDR2 ram

ASUS M2V AM2 VIA K8t890 ATX Motherboard (Ethernet connection is onboard)

Gigabit connection running through TP-Link TL-SG108 Unmanaged switch

uTorrent v3.3.2

- I have checked the eventlog and no errors are present.

- I have uninstalled uTorrent and reinstalled

- Switching to wifi keeps uTorrent from crashing, hardwire results in system freeze 100% of the time.

- System does not freeze unless uTorrent is running.

There has to be some sort of solution out there, it seems way too many people run into this issue but I have not seen any sort of fix. I'm convinced the common thread is Windows 7 64-bit and a hardwired network connection.

Have you checked the Asus website for network adapter driver updates?

The problem is specific to whatever network adapter and adapter driver combination you're using.

Unfortunately there are no Windows 7 drivers as this motherboard is quite old. I believe a generic driver was found by Windows. If I were to get a separate nic to add on, is there anything specific I should be looking for? I can get one of those quite cheap but I want to make sure uTorrent will not crash with it.

Archived