Version 3 slow, slow internet - v 2.2.1 is fast, no slowdown

Bikeman

Dear all,

I wanted to share my experience with uTorrent v3 with you. I didn't get this version to perform as I expected it to. I reverted back to v2.2.1 and everything is back to normal now.

When I installed uTorrent v3 (latest stable build) I noticed immediately that my internet connection responsiveness decreased significantly while downloading. Browsing felt very sluggish and sometimes pages didn't load.

I then lowered the maximum up- and downloadspeed to half of what I measured at speedtest.net. To no avail: browsing remained cumbersome.

uTorrent download speed was very low as well. I reached close to the maximum speed at the beginning of the session, but after 30 seconds the speeds went to half my connection's speed.

I tried changing the settings according to many posts on these forums, but nothing helped.

I then uninstalled uTorrent v3. I found an old v2.2.1 installer on my PC, and installed this version. Everything works like a charm: downloading at 99% of my connection's speed and at the same time I am able to surf without any trouble.

Does anybody have an explanation for these phenomena?

Kind regards,

Bikeman

Thanks for the blistering fast replies!

For now I will continue using v2.2.1 , so I will not continue my search for the 'why' of uTorrent v3 performing this slowly.

For reference purposes please find my configuration below:

- Vista Home Premium SP2 x64

- AVG Free 2011

- Connectable (= green icon in bottom right, connectability confirmed in the speed guide)

- 10 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up (speed guide: ~7 Mbps down, ~900 kbps up)

- Browings using Chrome

- 5 torrents in uTorrent, 1 downloading, others seeding

I used various settings in v3. The below settings where the ones used during my last trials, and are now in use in v2.2.1:

- UPnP, NAT-PMP enabled

- Firewall exception added

- Global maximum number of connections: 50

- Max number of connected peers per torrent: 50

- No transfer rate limits

- 'Apply rate limit to uTP connections' enabled, other options are not enabled

- uTP enabled, 'ask for scrape' enabled, other options disabled

Kind regards,

Bikeman

As far as I can see in the web interface there is no Statefull Package Inspection firewall. The features do state there is one, though.

Since there is no reference in the user interface I cannot test without the SPI firewall.

Anyway, in the mean time v. 2.2.1 is humming happily along, with now 384 torrent loaded and 8 torrents active, taking up 85% of my upload bandwidth. My surfing performance has no significant perceived performance degradation.

• 5 months later...

I went back to 2.2.1 and it worked really well speed wise.... then the same thing happened as with 3.0. It just slowed to a crawl. When I use 2 "test" torrents that I use to check my download speed and they are still working fine. I'll get approximately 85 - 90% of my actual "real world" bandwidth (BW 8 - 12 Mbits/sec so DL 1 - 1.2 Mbytes/sec). The upload speed is NOT affected. Thus I have eliminated any ISP shaping. It doesn't matter if I've 1 torrent download or several. Ain't life a joy sometimes :o

• 4 months later...

Also have problems with download speed in 3.* version. Download speed goes up to 2.5 MB/s (it's limit speed of my provider) after starting of torrent and goes down to 9-10 KB/s quickly after half a minute. After 3 - 10 minutes it goes back to 2.5 MB/s. And then there are no any problems with download speed during entire torrent download.

There is no such problem in 2.2.1 version. Settings are default in both 3.* and 2.2.1.

As I can see, 2.2.1 download speed goes up to 2.5 MB/s quickly after a torrent starting and remains the same all the download time. Seems, allocating file on disk does not affect somehow download speed of 2.2.1, unlike 3.* versions. I have not changed any settings of utorrent after installing (except minor settings like download path, visibility of some panes in UI and so on).

Archived