whats utorrent's port range?

quickman

theres a user on my network who is always downloading stuff when i told him to cut it out and it bogs down everyone else on so i am just going to add his mac address to the access restriction list in my wrt54g so i need to know what's utorrents portrange so he can use just about anything except for downloading torrents

i was thinking 999-65000 but i wanted a more precise number because i'm not sure if that might block stuff like msn, etc

• 7 months later...

I have registered to this forum just to tell you this:

In short, the best way to limit torrent traffic is to define a set of rules, which blocks (e.g. significantly decreases) ALL ports on your network EXCEPT the ports that you want to use for other stuff life web etc., since ports used for utorrent are not known and only defined only by user which can be anything, the most efficient way to fix this is just to severely hamper everything else on your network, which is ussualy p2p traffic by far.

If you do it correctly and define a full set of rules for your ports in QoS, this will not only severly hamper the torrent traffic but it will also improve your overall network efficiency, since the most important port ranges have priority over less important ones. Here's a great example made by Toastman:

Highest---DNS, NTP

High------Game Control Ports

Medium---IPTV Control Ports (RTP, RTSP, etc)

Low-------WWW, HTTPS, Web Proxies

Lowest----Shoutcast/IPTV/Messenger Video etc. data streams

A----------Mail POP, SMTP, IMAP

B----------IRC/Chat/Messenger text

C----------File Uploads/Downloads (HTTP) (FTP)

D----------Default (P2P and anything unidentifiable or annoying!)

E----------P2P Uploads/unwanted UDP/anything really annoying (as suggested above - a "crawl" class...)

While lower classes get only 1-5% of bandwidth in your basic QoS settings and making the default class E - the lowest setting possible (this is VERY important). Meaning everything else that is not going trough important ports 80, 443, msn, voip, game ports etc will be classified as class E (including even "unclassified" traffic - since default class is E), which is a bulky class with lowest priority and 1% of bandwidth...

Here is everything you need to know: http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showpost.php?p=357556&postcount=135

Since I've modified my home network using this guide, it works flawlessly. Not only have I been able to block torrent network for a specificaly annoying p2p abuuser, I've also improved my own - since my torrent traffic IS allowed for me and works normaly in class D trough a specified port that uttorent is using plus the ephemeral port ranges (1024-5000). And this rule only works for a single IP which is ARP Binded (useful against mac spoofing and also on other parts since you have a static lan IP), or you can also use a MAC adress if you're more comfortable with that. So practicaly, all other users on the netwrok benefit from this as well, because their most important traffic is shipped first, and even my own torrents aren't harming anyone, because they are forwarded and classed properly with lowest priority and some very slight bandwidth limitation, so they are not disturbing anything at all.

Archived