I've broken utorrent!

Heavy Bones

Ahem! I was wondering if anyone knew a way of repairing utorrent. I'm trying to avoid having to delete it (plus all my torrents and setup) and then reinstalling it.

Basically my computer developed a problem with its memory and I was trying to shut down a few programs using the task manager stop process thingy (please don't ask for more details). And now all internet access stops when utorrent is running and then it crashes the computer after a bit. I've tried restarting and I downloaded the slightly newer version 1.6 to see whether this helped, but to no avail.

Can anyone help?

HB

I had an earlier version of Utorrent, I was a beta version.... I tried all sorts of s#@t to get It to work properly.. I set up the windows firewall with the correct port number and my Dlink DSL 504G and my Zonealarm, I followed all the Instructions I could find etc..... the button at the bottom was always yellow butit still managed to D/L a file (I chose one which was 300Mb) as a test and It took like 3 days..... That was enough for me...

so I uninstalled Utorrent (Beta) and went back to my BitComet for a day, I couldn't rest....... I uninstalled BC and reinstalled a differenrt version of UT which only became available the day after I uninstalled the previous version, and WHoaaaaa, all the downloads I had deleted before I uninstalled were there on the D/L list, how on earth?, what the? the only thing was , it wasn't accepting the port numbers I chose, so In Preferences?connection I clicked random port and put that In my DSL router and windows firewall and now she's perfect.

Hope you have similar luck man!!!!!

Thanks for the reply, Isobit.. but that's not quite my problem.

Let me clarify it. I have been using 1.5 very happily until I managed to mess things up... its true that there is a warning not to use the stop process feature of task manager but I kinda needed to chance it.

What I would like to know is whether uTorrent has some sort of self repair program or facility otherwise I'll have to start from the beginning again :(

HB

Quote "What I would like to know is whether uTorrent has some sort of self repair program or facility otherwise I'll have to start from the beginning again" unquote

Sorry, I misunderstood... I was however, doing exactly what this previous reply (dreadWingKnight) suggested. and couldn't find anything about repair...but seeing that he's a Mod maybe I didn't look far enough and missed it...... good luck!

Here's my suggestion: If you've put in any updates then uninstall the updates and run the uTorrent Setup program and let it reinstall itself over the already installed version. That should put back any files that were corrupted or damaged during your unavoidable WTM program halt. Hopefully this'll fix your problem. Let me know if it does.

Archived