Utorrent allowing connections without IP or other identifying information

Jim R

In the latest version, 3-4-8-42449, I have had some peers connect with no identifiable information under the "IP" column.  I have had one simply say ".:utp"  when copied to the clipboard, only a port number follows the non-descript connection.  Coincidentally, this connection did nothing but download from me, uploading only enough data for their requests.  Another similar connection was simply identified as "CHERJR"

There must be some way to prevent total leeches such as this.  The only way I found was to enter a service block into my router with their port number, which is the only identifying attribute.  Unfortunately, this also blocks others using the same port number and is a pain to administer.

There needs to be some feature or control that forces an identifying IP address or web address in order to connect.  I have even seen a mail dot county or cable dot virgin dot net, but you will always find an IP address embedded somewhere.  Unlike the previous cases I have described.

• 1 month later...

Yes, IP resolution is turned off. Just the IP numbers themselves are showing, but in some cases, there is nothing for an IP, just dot utp or something else that could never be interpreted as an IP, not even an IP6 format of any type. Also, I am getting nonsensical information under the Client column. In those cases, there is an IP.  Checking the IP, it is located in the States, so it's not like the peer is located in a foreign language country where there would be a reason for hieroglyphic, Chinese or  only symbols naming the incoming client.

Archived