How to switch from Windows Explorer to FreeCoommander or Total Commander?

ZZZewor

I do not use the Explorer embedded in Windows 7. Instead of it I use filehandler called FreeCommander; and sometimes Total Commander

So how do I tell uTorrent to stop opening torrent folders in Windows Explorer? I want to be able to double click a torrent from a list in uTorrent and have it opened in FreeCommnder, preferably in a whole new tab on the other side [if I am active in FC on the right window, I want torrent to be shown n the left side; and other way around]

Those windows created by Explorer just make mess and disrupt my workflow. After checking out 5 torrents I have 5 useless additional windows. And if I want to copy or move something from the torrent folder [and that is why I open torrent folder], I need to first switch to FreeCommnder so that it will be in front, and then switch back to Explorer, and only then select the file [so that I can drag it with TeraCopy]

• 2 weeks later...

What does this have to do with uTorrent forums?!

I doubleclick a torrent listed in uTorrent and I get reaction in a third party software: Windows Explorer. How does the uTorrent know what to use? Because it is told to use Windows Explorer or is told to just use the default file manager of the operating system?

So in order to change that behavior there are apparently two options:

A] Change in the operating system the default file manager. Which would be a complicated manner and a very risky one, because WE is somehow connected and / or responsible also for things like Control Panel

B] Change in the uTorrent the file manager for opening torrents listed in it

So to reverse our question: why should Windows or FreeCommander users in general care, if some other software like uTorrent uses Windows Explorer or something else?

Nothing is messed up in my registry, you just do not understand what I am advocating for

Options > Preferences > UI Settings > Actions for Double Click > For seeding torrents > Open folder
Options > Preferences > UI Settings > Actions for Double Click > For downloading torrents > Open folder

Why isn't there also an additional option for choosing something else over the default Windows Explorer?

Also when you right click a torrent from a list in the main window, third from the top in the shell is the
Open Containing Folder
option, which is of course executed with Windows Explorer

And that is what is making mess on my screen, all those WE windows that pop out every time I want to go to a given torrent's folder, because I cannot opened them in file managers like FreeCommander or Total Commander

Thank you for the idea, but uunfortunately this simply does not work as a workaround, which I surely would use [at least when cleaning uTorrent out of accumulated completed torrents; because Windows Explorer is connected with other things, like Taskbar]

Yes, killing explorer.exe shuts down Windows Explorer [and Taskbar for example], but when clicking torrent from a list, it is opened via Windows Explorer; the process just appears back [without the Taskbar although]

Archived