Best uTorrent settings for SSD

Uppound197

Hi people is it true that torrenting onto a ssd consumes alot of its limited read-write cycle?

Also if i torrent onto an external hdd, will the data bypass my ssd completely (ie the data does not get saved temporarily on the ssd before being transferred)? I'd like to know please what are the best settings to use and what type of configuration. (ie install utorrent on ssd or hdd)

• 1 month later...

Recently I replaced my SATA III 10 000 RPM HDD with and SSD, just for torrents [and I was and I am right now running also my Windows 7 x64 from a different SSD]

And now I can load more torrent to uTorrent and have less issues with it; with the same settings

Aside from that I got rid of the constant noise of the head moving over platters, for which annoying noise even the Scythe Quiet Drive and periodic defragmentation helped only to some extent

Just go SSD with torrents

On 13.02.2017 at 11:44 AM, sarahgad said:

SSD's have a limited amount of write cycles which is around 10,000, but unless you are a heavy user, you should n't be facing any problems as such.
Still, the more stuff you read/write off of that drive, the faster it'll go nuts. But would recommend you go for a standard HDD.

[...]

My recently bought 750 GB SSD [that one for torrents] has TBW 220. It means that after writing 220 TB the 3 year long warranty for it automatically goes away; because the manufacturer of it thinks, that at that point it will deteriorate if not rapidly then at least quicker. If my math is correct, 220 TB equals to 5500 movies in Blu-ray [each with weight of 40 GB]. That comes down to for example 3 movies per every single day for 5 years

So are we really suppose to not use SSDs for torrents, because they will get worn down? And use much slower HDDs, because they magically do not deteriorate in time?

13 hours ago, sarahgad said:

Makes sense, so what have you used now? as what i recommended was on the basis what i got to know from a friend who is more into this. I can update him as well with your suggestions.

I thought I made myself clear: I am already using SSD for torrents

I bought it [SSD 2.5" Crucial MX300 SATA III 750GB 530/510 MB/s] to replace a quick HDD [Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB SATA III 10000 RPM 32MB cache WD1000DHTZ], because I couldn't stand the constant noise, when uTorrrent had to do the "checking" process; which happened often. Practically almost all the time. Sometimes "checking" of my ~100 torrents wasn't even finished before a reset of the system. And those resets had to be done every few hours, either because of slow down / issues or to prevent them

And now uTorrent has less cases when it does not close properly, so it does the "checking" seldom. An when it does, it goes 5-10 times quicker; without a single sound of course, so [aside from an occasional freeze up] I do not even notice them until I specifically check for them. And now I have ~200 torrents at the same moment. And I can go without a reset of Widows for 2 days [or maybe even longer - I haven't tested for that long]

I expected better torrent related performance from an SSD- but not so much. It exceeded my expectations

Archived