why can't I get green light??

ardg

I have been using uTorrent for several months and it was fine so far. Suddenly I get red light instead of green and almost no downloads/uploads.

I didn't change anything, except that I tried to connect to uTorrent from my office where it is appearently blocked (red light, almost no downloads/uploads).

I have an HP notebook with windows XP home SP2. My firewall (the one that is built in SP2) has uTorrent in the exceptions (I also tried to completely disable the firewall and it didn't help). The port is forwarded in my router (Siemens Gigaset se505) for both TCP and UDP. I tried to change port and forward it again in my firewall and router and it didn't help.

What could be the problem?

thanks!

Is your computer set up with a fixed/static LAN ip (usually in the 192.168.x.x range)?

If it's not, it may have arbitrarily decided to change its LAN ip on reboot...even after all this time...and any router port-forwarding that pointed to the old ip are now useless.

What firewall are you using? Most software firewalls (even Win XP SP2's) are far more trouble and paranoia than they're worth. Your router should protect arbitary incoming attacks. Even Win XP SP2's firewall can protect against outgoing programs.

Are you still using the computer in question at home and having problems...or just having firewalled issues at work?

This is a notebook so I take it to the office and bring it home everyday. In the office I have a fixed IP, but at home not. I don't use uTorrent in the office becuase it's blocked, can't connect.

I use the windows SP2 firewall but even after disabling it the problem presists.

How can I tell if the LAN ip changed? and what can I do about it? I already tried to delete the port and forward it again and it didn't work...

Have used the test port forwarding button kindly installed in utorrent. Are you getting any error messages on the torrents? Are using more than one tracker? And have you checked the tracker? What ISP are you using? As I know that they can chage thier minds and add packet shapers and such. Try using port say 1080 (I think, the http one) as it is likely to be more open on your ISP's network.

Just some idears while I monitor my little problem.

All the best

Free30

I have done the tested with the port forwarding button, and it says that the port is not forwarded. I tried already several ports, both "known" ones like the HTTP and the MSN messenger, and also "unknown" ones as 50000,12345 etc. Nothing works. And the strange thing is that it used to work, so it can't be something wrong with how I do the router forwarding.

I don't get error messages.

I don't know much about trackers but it seems like for every torrent the tracker is different, and I have several torrents so this is probably not the problem.

I tried to disable the windows firewall, and also to add uTorrent to the "exceptions list" in my antivirus (NOD32-IMON). Also didn't help. I tried installing azureus and there I have the same problem.

I live in Switzerland so my ISP is probably not so famous (it is called cablecom), as far as I know they don't block ports and I don't have any limits on my bandwidth because I can download from web sites very fast.

I am going crazy, what can it be???

No your not going crazy, you have a problem you can't solve.

So I'm no expert, but it did work, you didn't change anything at your end, pachets of info are getting lost, so it must be your ISP.

I had an ISP change to use a packet shaper to restrict the use of P2P networks and there told me they hadn't. So you could try asking them, P2P is total legal.

Do you have any problems with internet telelphone? I think I remeber reading that it uses similar system. Maybe somebody knows how to check an isp. And you sre you didn't change anythng? If you sure blame others.

All the best

Free30

edit spellng and such, sorry

3 common problems people are having concerns features in µTorrent not working with hardware/software due to the hardware/software being hopelessly buggy.

These are DHT, UPnP, and half-open connections.

So...to test:

Disable DHT and UPnP.

and set half-open connections in µTorrent back to the default of 8 (if it's been changed) or as low as 4 if it hasn't been changed.

OK, I did those 3 things (disable upnp and dht and lower the half open connections to 4). I still get a red light and the port is not open but the speed is much much better - about 150kb/s instead of 5-10kb/s. Thanks!

But it's still much slower than it used to be... I will phone my ISP tomorrow, see if they messed up or if it's my fault maybe they can tell me why.

So if you took those steps and it helped. It sound like maybe removing any leagcy connections and ips from utorrent might bring up back. I'd try reinstalling and readding the torrents. BUT I'm no expert, as I said before.

Free30

OK so I called the ISP and they say that it's not their fault, they didn't block any ports and don't have restrictions.

Then today at the office I found that I can't access other computers on the internal network and they can't access my computer. They can see my computer but not access the contents. So it seems like really not a problem with the ISP.

What could it be? Is this the right forum for such a question?

Archived