having trouble port forwarding in korea

bunnyt

hi, i am in korea, new computer - OS: XP SP2, VDSL premium (speed tested - around 3000 down/600 up). have no idea whether i have router - could be just a modem (korea telecom sticker on it saying something about vdsl modem, only other identification is the number EX-1101QL). have allowed the 5-digit port i chose (in utorrent preferences) with windows firewall (TCP/UDP). also set up static IP address following instructions in this forum. while doing this there was another number - DHCP 59.##.###.## - have no idea what this was or whether i needed to do something with it. went to my LAN network connection settings and found this - TE 100-PCBUSR 32-Bit Cardbus PC C - im guessing this has nothing to do with a router right ? very occasionally download speeds jump to 100 or even 200 sometimes but usually 0 - 30 (with up to 20 open seeds). i am aware (after reading countless posts) that there could be a number of factors affecting my speeds and ive tried messing with the settings but usually this only makes things worse so i go back to what utorrent recommends. so can anyone give me some heads up please ? can i get this port forward thingie happening ? thanks for any (babystep) help in advance.

answering switecks question - not quite sure what you mean by rocksteady, my upload speed is capped at 60 kB/s (as recommended for my connection speed) and varies from 5 - 20 kB/s for 4 simultaneous seeds - each seed is fairly steady with changes in the 0.1 - 1.5 kB/s range every second. is this normal ?

thanks, game90 - are you sure about this ?

a couple of other questions - in preferences should i enable UPnP port mapping or not ?

is there like a test file i can download to get an idea how my system is performing ?

appreciate the comments - thank you

I mean the speed graph in µTorrent -- upload speed should be reaching the 60 KB/sec set upload limit and staying there, not bouncing between 40 and 80 KB/sec. If it is bouncing around, it's a sign of overload...or other problems which look like overload.

switeck - i checked the graph and my upload speed is staying rock solid

firon - i ran speed test again with no other programs running and got these results, d/l 3.57 Mbps, u/l 550 kbps (this varies from 400 - 700 each time i do the test)

while trying to get my utorrents speeds optimized i google searched utorrent settings and read that i should divide my upload rate by 8 to determine the limit i assign to utorrent.

any suggestions ? thanks again

Merged double post(s):

oh and another thing, despite always getting the port forward "error" result after running the check, utorrent will often start up in red or yellow mode, often changing between these for a while - sometimes for 30 minutes or so. later, however, it will go green - why ? i dont know

EDIT by silverfire: Please do not double post.

EDIT by bunnyt - ok, sorry - havent done this forum thing before - found the edit button now

Archived