µTorrent Stable(3.5.0 build 44090)

isepiq

1. Windows 7 Ultimate X64, Cox Cable, currently running µTorrent Stable(3.4.9 build 43295)

2.  I have µTorrent installed to C, Program Files (x86). I normally just download and copy the new µTorrent.exe file to that folder and everything runs just fine with no problems.  

3. PROBLEM:  When I copy and Paste the exe for  µTorrent Stable(3.5.0 build 44090) into that folder and then run it, it tries to install itself AGAIN as though I had NO µTorrent previously installed. This has never happened to me before. If I let it install itself, I lose all of my Settings and Torrents.  Pasting a copy of the exe for µTorrent Stable(3.4.9 build 43295) back into that folder fixes everything back to normal with all of my Settings and Torrents.

4. So how to install the new µTorrent Stable(3.5.0 build 44090) and keep all of my Settings and Torrent Files???  TY very much for any help or advice.

2 hours ago, isepiq said:

When I copy and Paste the exe for  µTorrent Stable(3.5.0 build 44090) into that folder and then run it, it tries to install itself AGAIN as though I had NO µTorrent previously installed. This has never happened to me before.

That's because the binary for 3.5.0.44090 is hidden within an installer of the same name ;)

Here are magnets to the actual binaries:

3.5.0.44090 stable: magnet:?xt=urn:btih:B0D26F17C4E12B85C188330A1C0A246305B471B4

3.5.0.44178 stable: magnet:?xt=urn:btih:A55EACA140D31697F5005C1A0D9ECDD3DA78F9F9

3.5.0.44210 beta: magnet:?xt=urn:btih:2447D9D4E117A35F2EB6DF7C59A488D0E533E789

After downloading the required version, simply rename the file to uTorrent.exe and place it in your chosen folder. As for your settings, try renaming the back up file settings.dat.old to settings.dat. Make sure to have copies of files before renaming.

TY Mike.......... a stupid question here, and one that I should know after all these years, but how in the world do I use those magnet links U posted???  I am stumped on this one???

EDIT:  OK, I just tried copying and pasting into the Address bar in Firefox instead of Chrome and got uTorrent to take it, no problem.. wonder why Chrome would not do it???????????

One other Question:  Am I going to have this trouble with all future updates now???  Just wondering???  Is there some other url where I should get updates from now on so that I do not get that installer thingy???  TY again for your time and patience here.... it is very much appreciated....

Chrome is refusing to do this magnet link like Firefox did???  It just goes to SEARCH and Search Results.... it does not bring up uTorrent like Firefox did???

OK, got that binary file and put it in my uTorrent Folder and it worked just like normal with NO PROBLEMS!!!  TY so very much.... what in the world is this 'hidden within and installer' thingy???  That really messed me up....???

8 minutes ago, isepiq said:

TY Mike.......... a stupid question here, and one that I should know after all these years, but how in the world do I use those magnet links U posted???  I am stumped on this one???

Highlight the bold link of the version you require with cursor/mouse, then right-click>copy (over the highlighted text).

Open uTorrent. Click Add Torrent from URL icon. The copied magnet should be automatically showing in the dialogue box (if not, right-click>paste in the empty field entry).

Then click OK.

16 hours ago, isepiq said:

So in the future, do I download from the regular location again, or from the links at the bottom of your posts or???  I do NOT want that installer thingy again???  TY

It depends how the developers pack it for distribution.

Most binaries can simply replace the existing version of uTorrent.exe (if a settings.dat file is in the same location).

They also run as an installer (if settings.dat is not found).

The version 3.5.0.44090 IS an installer file (regardless of settings.dat being in the same location):

In this instance, WinRAR, WinZip or similar program can be used to view or extract the files (right-click>Extract...) within the installer.

The file Carrier.exe is what you're after. Rename it uTorrent.exe then replace the old with the new.

I tried using Wnrar and Winzip just to see if I could do the extract on version 3.5.0.44090 but got NO extract command???  Puzzling....???  I am currently using the Binary File U gave me.. TY....

EDIT:  OK, I just downloaded another copy to my Desktop instead of a Downloads Folder and it did the Extract thingy... whew...what in the world???  LOL   TY very much again for all of your help.. I guess I will just check updates from now on to see if they Extract!

40 minutes ago, isepiq said:

OK, I just downloaded another copy to my Desktop instead of a Downloads Folder and it did the Extract thingy... whew...what in the world???  LOL   TY very much again for all of your help.. I guess I will just check updates from now on to see if they Extract!

Correct.

The magnet version was the extract (renamed).

I just did the download and extract to see if I could do it.... Used YOUR Magnet Link though for the update. Nice to know that I can do it.. have no idea why the first one that I downlooaded from the uTorrent Site did not get the Extract Option, but the second one did. Am prepared now for the future... LOL. Hope this  post can be of use to others....

Archived