Yet another speed question

RoscoeD

So I've read more threads on the topic than I can count; I clicked on setup guide link (which is a dead link); most of the help is for a windows computer (I use a Mac (Version 1.8.7 (43938) as recommend by the Torrent page I use), and a lot of the experts say "We need more information" without telling us what they need to see.

I use Cox cable (Boo!) as my only option where I live and started "Torrenting" back in august. For two months I was able to leech at 4.8 MB/s.  Suddenly, download speeds dropped to 8KB/s.  Nothing changed except the NAS I was downloading to started filling up.  So on a whim I switched to a USB drive with more available space.  Back to high speed although the number jumper around a lot more.  Suddenly slowed to a crawl again.  Thinking I had the answer from before (the USB drive was nearing full), I bought an additional drive.  Nothing.  Still crawling.  Tried moving the drive from a hub straight into my Mac. No improvement.  It was working fine until 2 weeks ago, then crawling.  So far as I can tell, nothing has changed.  I don't have a firewall.

What can I provide that will help you smart people figure this out?

What setup guide link? Also this is for Windows help not mac for that you need to post to Mac forum for others that have a problem to close to yours to respond properly. Also setup should be roughly same for Win and Mac as they use utorrent which doesn't change from Win to Mac other then appearance and programming but should use matching settings to use torrents. Try to download the files I listed in my signature to determine if this is ISP throttle or server issues. Leeching doesn't help either if I might say. And what your describing sounds more akin to ISP Throttle from the read of it. That is the suspect indicator of your ISP throttling your internet because they detect and see torrent usage. And if your wondering is there any fix maybe but no one here is allowed nor permitted to give such assistance here by choice or not. So at this point it sounds more like ISP throttle of which no one is permitted to address and that is between your ISP and you to resolve. So try to download one of the files I listed on my signature file and see what happens to your internet when it start to when it slows then you will know what ISP throttle looks like.

Archived