speed variations

Stainless

I have a 1600/330Mbit (200/40Kbs)cable internet. I'm just curious. Normally my upload rate is rather constant. downloas varies depending the seeds, but when there are more than 10 seeds there are dramatic drops in speed, for a while it's 160/35kBs, then it drops for a rather long period to almost nothing and then it speeds up again. When there are just a few seeds or when I'm only seeding the problem doesn't occur. Do you have a explanation?

Maybe the other seeds are getting more attention than you from the peers. Dunno, happens sometimes.

Sounds nice, but always and also when I'm also seeding one or two orphans? And when there are 60+ seederes who try to get a decent SR and just a few leeches? Sounds improbable

And when there are 60+ seederes who try to get a decent SR and just a few leeches? Sounds improbable

I must've switched seeders with peers and leechers with seeders in my head when I read this, but now that I've reread it... What's so improbable about this being part of the issue? It sounds like the WHOLE reason behind the issue.

We keep misunderstanding. It happens when I'm leeching on a torrent with many seeders. My SR is ok so I don't care about my upload on that torrent, but my downlod speed drops from 170 to almost 0. Stays there for about 5 minutes, goes for a couple of minutes back to 170 and drops again

Then either your upload speed is too high (I already told you to decrease it from 35), or your router can't handle the number of connections. If the latter is the case, you'll have to try disabling DHT, or lowering the global maximum number of connections.

Ok, at the moment I've just fiished downloading the torrent in question so I can't test it now. I've disabled DHT all the time. For my info, if I'm leeching on a torrent with say 10 seeds and 50 leeches or to a torrent with 50 seeders an 10 leeches does that give a difference in the number of connections? Because in the first case I've no trouble and in the second speed is varying as told before. (I'm now leeching on a torrent with 25 seeds (16 connected) and 101 leeches (46 connected) and have no problem. I had/have my max connections on 120 and number of peers per torrent on 80.

No, it shouldn't really make much difference in terms of connections. Oddly enough, if there were more seeds, your download speed might fare a little better, not because there are more seeds, but because there would likely be more upload slots open for you to download from... I'm not sure what to say here =T

Seems to me typical pseudo-seed case.

We have to remember that as seed is being recognized every client who has 100% of the file and is connected to tracker (eventually found by DHT or PEX).

BUT

it doesn't says anything how much upstream every seed is really providing to the swarm.

In fact, many users are giving seeding the lowest priority because they need upload to download current torrents.

So, paradoxically, you can often get better speed in torrents with very low number of seeds and high number of peers - because all peers are vitally interested in quick exchanging of data.

You're getting overload conditions SOMEWHERE. My guess, like the other posters said, too many connections at once. More specifically...probably too many half-open connections at once.

I've even heard of UPnP getting "flakey" when there's lots of connections.

DHT can be a problem for lots of hardware/software regardless of connections.

The reason why you're having these problems...I don't know.

Blame your router or software firewall, it's quite the rage here right now.

[useless quoting deleted by moderator]

Can I blame the tracker? I think I've to live with it, normally I'm rather on time when I download and have almost no problems, but because of a heatwave I only can let my PC running at night (external HDD with a pasive cooling), so it happens sooner that I connect to a torrent with a lot of seeders and encounter this problem more often. But as their seems not really a sollution I ttake it philosophical, in the end I finish the torrent, takes some more time that's all.

Merged double post(s):

Just found a soltion that works (for me). When there are more then 10 seeds (thar=ts when I start getting this problem) I maximize the number of connected peers per torrent to 10. Then it works fine. (must remeber change the setting after finishung the dl)

EDIT by silverfire: The edit function exists for a reason. Double posting instead of editing is negligent and unnecessary.

Archived