Slow browsing while downloading

P1x44r

Hello,

I only seem to get this with the new client 1.6 b474. I'm on a 50Mb line, but no matter what speed I try when starting uTorrent, my internet browsing is slow(even the extranet sites). I could be downloading/uploading at 10KB/s with uTorrent, yet pages are all very slow to load. The minute I quit uTorrent everything goes back to normal.

Can someone give me a hand with this issue please?

Thank you much!

Note: If you are directed to this post, respond from wherever you were directed from.

- Ran the Speed Guide (Ctrl+G in µTorrent) properly?

- Disabled IP resolving in the Peers tab?

- Restarted µTorrent after disabling DHT?

- Try disabling UPnP?

- What firewall are you using, and have you tried uninstalling it?

- Tried lowering the global maximum number of connections to 200? 100? 50?

- Lowering net.max_halfopen to 4?

- Patched TCPIP.SYS and restarted the computer after patching (this assumes you run Windows XP w/SP2!)?

- Restarted the router after doing any of the above?

- Connect directly to the modem to make sure it's not your router?

- If turns out that it's not the router, what modem are you using?

• 1 month later...

I:

Ran the Speed Guide

Disabled IP Resolve

Disabled DHT (and restarted)

Disabled UPnP

Lowered the global maximum number of connections to 60

lowered net.max_halfopen to 4

restarted the router

I am still having the speed issue. I don't see any change.

My speed test results without running Utorrent are 6018/360

With running UTorrent: 766/45

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Is there any solution to this?

I'm on a 100mbit line and have the same problems. Tried limiting the number of connections and all the other stuff, but it doesn't help.

Even limiting to 50 global connections and with a slow UL speed the browsing is slow. The only thing that helps is shutting down uTorrent.

The slowness seems to affect foreign sites much more than local. With local sites I don't really notice a slowness when using uTorrent. Does this make any sense?

• 7 months later...

The situation is:

I can UL at 500KB and have 50 connnections in uTorrent and the browsing will be slow. I also tried to UL something with the browser and the speed is 0. So it's basically impossible to upload. I can DL tho, at great speeds (like from rapidshare).

BUT: While the browsing is severely crippled at that point I can still UL at 5MB in uTorrent and have 200 conections.

Does this make sense?

Because it really seems like there are connections/bandwidth available for uTorrent, even to foreign users. How can they not be available for browsing?

The standard test I use for browsing speed is Gmail. With uTorrent open it loads in like 10sec. With uTorrent closed it loads in 1sec.

(My current settings: followed the speed guide for my connection and tried disabling: UPnP, NAT-PMP port mapping, DHT and IP resolving. Set the net.max_halfopen to 4.)

Can you upload at 5 MegaBYTES/sec with fewer than 40 connections at least sometimes?

My guess is hostile/poorly written commercial software has crippled your computer's network performance.

So can you post a FULL Process Explorer list, showing what programs are loaded/running and what their official names + companies are?

Have you tried TCP View (or something similar) right after booting up your computer to see if "strange programs" are trying to make lots of internet connections?

Something else may be using your connection's upload bandwidth -- µTorrent *MAY* be able to force its speeds high by competing with whatever it is, BUT web browsing suffers immensely because of it!

I'm doing some UL tests with rapidshare.com right now:

1. It does also UL at a high speed with uTorrent open, but the general rule seems to be that with uTorrent open it takes a while for the speed to rise: it will UL at around 10-50KB varying for more than a minute and then it will quickly rise to a few MBs. (This with uTorrent ULing at ~2MB and 160 connections.)

2. With uTorrent closed it starts to UL immediately at 350KB. (I don't know if it would rise any higher, cause the 100MB file already finishes ULing.)

I'm suspecting that something similar could be happening with DL as well.

update-edit: With uT open sometimes the fast UL speed on rapidshare is reached sooner (doesn't take 1min+) and then also browsing in general is faster. So I'm pretty sure those two are related.

I'm sure I don't have any viruses or anything like that, I'm cautious about these things.

The only program that I know accesses internet besides the browser/utorrent is F@H, but it accesses it only occasionaly and I also tried closing it, but with uTorrent open browsing is still slow.

Anyway, here's Process Explorer:

http://files.myopera.com/ermi/files/proc-exp.png

Tried TCP View and didn't find anything suspect, except a few "non-existent" processes which I don't know what they are/do:

http://files.myopera.com/ermi/files/tcpview-nonexistent.png

Googling those didn't find anything alarming. But if someone knows more about them let me know.

edit, UPDATE: tried that connection tweaker, still the same.

• 7 months later...

I think I just found the solution to this. It's actually pretty simple and pragmatic. ;)

It's about the TCPIP.SYS patch. I tried that years ago but it didn't change a thing. So now I tried it again but this time I set the max connections to 500. It seems like it does make a difference! I have it at 5000 now, just cause I can. :D

Now... it seems that with uTorrent open the browsing is still just slightly slower than with uTorrent closed, but it's definitely better than before.

So to anyone having slow browsing problems with uTorrent open try patching TCPIP.SYS to a much higher number than 50.

(I don't even know why such a low number was the default, cause it didn't make any difference at all on 2 PCs that I tried it on.)

Please let me/us know if this works for you.

BTW, it seems like the slow browsing with uTorrent is more a rule than an exception. I witnessed this on 3 different PCs with 3 different ISPs! Besides all the complaining on forums...

High half open rate in uTorrent WILL cause problems on the vast majority of networking hardware and software.

(High being anything greater than the default value of 8.)

Half open connections have little to do with total connections you already have...it's the rate at which new outgoing connections are made. Incoming connections are not counted against the half-open limit.

Archived