slow speed just with utorrent

elitejavi

i've got the green light and i'm sure i've configured utorrent right(did everything that's on the guide on this site, my connection is down 640 and up 128)

after making sure everything was okay, i tryed downloading something, and it downloaded at 0.1 kB!

tryed with another client and i get 15kB...

i really like utorrent, much more than any other client, can someone tell me what's going on?

seeya

in the "other client" it works at 58kB download and 1kB upload

and with uTorrent it works at 22.8kB down and 0kB up...

that's what i meant...

both client where using the same port(didn't used both at the same time, obiusly) and were configured the same way

thanks in advance :P

seeya

We need more information.

There are too many apps and bad hardware that can cripple µTorrent but somehow not affect other BitTorrent clients.

Do you have a software/hardware firewall?

What brand (if any) is your router?

Are you connected via wireless or USB?

Please post all the settings you are currently using that are shown in Speed Guide (CTRL+G).

Also, what's your half-open connection limit?

[useless quoting removed by moderator]

yes, i'm using Comodo Personal Firewall.

i don't have a router, i have this Huawei SmartAX MT810 modem coneccted on a USB port

Upload limit: 10kB/s upload slots: 2

connections (per-torrent): 16 Connections (global): 128

Max active torrents: 4 Max active downloads: 3

i'm using port 65533

in µTorrent it's set to 40, and i've patched tcpip.sys to be a max of 50

seeya

wait wait wait

i DO know what i'm doing

well, i don't know as much as i'll like, but i do know enought to tell you two things:

1st: the net conenction speed thing is becouse i'm from argentina, and here a dial up is not something that everybody has(specially here, in tucuman)10mb is something noone has here :P

2nd: if you say my settings are wrong, then unsticky this:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=3912

becouse all of my settings are from there(readed it, i'm sure everything its right)

i was going to change the modem, but a new one is 200 pesos(divide by 3 to get the price in dollars)

seeya

No, you don't, as your connections are set almost *too* low per torrent, and it'll never reach the global maximum number of connections even if you reached the maximum number of simultaneous running torrents, meaning there doesn't appear to be any logic behind your settings. That and the global maximum number of connections isn't even right for your connection anyway, and would create more overhead than is necessary.

In short, don't bother with that guide posted, it's rather outdated and extreme. Just stick to the Speed Guide. I'm not in control of stickies anyway, so no point telling me =\

Reduce active downloads to 1 or 2 and max active torrents to 2 or 3 -- if you're only uploading at 10 KB/sec, you're almost leeching on each to demand more at once. Upload speed PER upload slot PER torrent with your current settings is 2 KB/sec roughly.

Raise connections per torrent to 25 and reduce global connections to 70 -- this may greatly increase your download speeds just by itself. Some ISPs even limit the number of connections they allow their non-business customers to make at once, so you may want to check into that.

With so few connections max, setting half-open connection limit high (in µTorrent) is probably both unnecessary and even cutting into your download+upload speeds.

These reduced settings are mainly because USB modems as a whole generally CAN'T handle even 100 connections at once...some have trouble even handling 50 at once! They also don't like high half-open connection rates. :(

• 4 months later...

okay, after reading that i know that i don't know what i'm doing...

i have to unlearn what i learned

gonna test if sticking to the speed guide helps

thanks!

seeya

[MERGE]

to Switeck:

thanks, but those settings apply to an Encore ENDSL-AR4?... that one is connected to the network card, so no more USB for me...

i've had it for a while, but i'm not sure if the settings are okay or not...

PS: i have to ask... does speedguide's TCP optimizer's optimal settings are really optimal? couse when i calculate it manually, the "TCP recive window" setting is always different from the one that i get if i set it to optimal...(yes, is kinda offtopic, but is better than doing a whole new topic)

seeya

elitejavi,

I am new to uTorrent, but I have to say I've been getting great speeds just by using the default Speed Guide settings like Ultima suggested. On a 768/128 connection my very first download reached 86kB/sec on a torrent with only a small handful of seeds and peers. That's almost maxed-out for my connection! I have everything at default... speed guide settings (xx/128k), no registry tweaks, no tcpip.sys patch, and using the regular windows firewall.

I realize I was lucky to get into a fast swarm my first time out. It has occured to me that if it had been a slow one, I probably would have spent countless hours fiddling with my settings needlessly. I wonder how often that happens to folks here... probably a lot.

On slower DSL connections like ours, we really shouldn't be downloading more than one file at a time. As it is, our slow upload rates will require us to do quite a bit of seeding afterwards to give back to the system and maintain a respectable ratio.

Good luck!

Dig

I thereby would like to submit feature request for next version of utorrent: the word "upload" in speed guide should be bolded and upsized, let's say 5 times, should be enough.

Yes, I'm kidding but only a little... the frequency of new users who are choosing the connection type by selecting their download speed is devastating :(

Speedguide's TCP optimizer's optimal settings shouldn't be too bad. You about have to take a less-than-optimal setting if you have both an internet connection AND a fast LAN.

If your upload speed is low, like 128kilobits/sec max, then yeah I agree completely that running more than 1 torrent at once is probably hurting all parties.

Archived